• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Control layout and background info

fleetmech

Hello all, this post should reveal that I don't know much about the background of these trucks...

Since I've had a fair bit of time to look at things lately, between this site, google and my own truck, I noticed that there are minor variations in some of the controls in the cab of these trucks, namely where the heater controls are mounted and the shape of the gear shift. Most trucks seem to have heater controls right of the steering column, and a stick with two bends in it. Some have heater controls to the left, some have a stick with one bend, and some, like mine have both left controls and the one bend shifter. I also note my range shifter does not have the lockout hole in it, though it does have the boss where it would be. Since it does not seem to make the slightest difference in actual operation, does anyone know why they bothered to do things differently?

On the subject of range shifters, while I don't think it would work with stock seats has anyone here replaced or modified the range shifter to be easier to reach? Something to make make it closer to vertical like an old Spicer twin stick?

Also, whats up with the Tooele 'customer satisfaction' hotline number on the engine? I can't imagine Uncle Sam had any interest in helping civilians keep long surplussed trucks rolling...

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These answers are totally off the top of my head, I claim no expertise.

does anyone know why they bothered to do things differently?
Because it's what they had rolling around in the shop?

My guess (I never served) is that, in the military, they pull stuff apart and put it back together to make sure things are in good working order, to learn how to work on stuff and/or to keep people busy. I've read that it's quite likely that any engine (and maybe any other random part) in any truck probably didn't start out in that specific truck and that you probably can't trust the mileage if you get one of these out of military (that is the engine will probably have less miles than the truck shows).

whats up with the Tooele 'customer satisfaction' hotline number on the engine?
Have you called the number?

Last edited:

fleetmech

For sure I've heard that about the military as well! I'm not surprised to see that parts have been changed for exactly the reasons you mentioned; I'm really curious as to why there are different versions of the same parts in the first place.

No I haven't tried calling them, I'm not sure how developed their sense of humor is. "this is covered under warranty right? NO?? Let me speak to your manager!"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks