• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Controlling Hi/Low Range and Front Axle Lock From a Shift Knob

What kinda of slave valve did you use.....

I'm still trying to figure this out how you did that. I have been pondering this for awhile. I can't do it with my valves cause when it's plumbed to be NC and then switched to open the NC circuit doesn't vent pressure.

GregSLSTJ

Well i'm not exactly sure how your valves work but my set up didn't work either until it was completely hooked up. It does rely on feed back pressure to change state of the slave valve. These are the parts I used, right from a heavy truck parts place.
Eaton Fuller Hi/Low shift knob - A3546
Eaton Fuller range slave valve - A5000
Speedaire cylinder - 5MMD4 - 1 1/16 bore 5 in. stroke 2 way
pressure regulator from hardware store

Ok so now that I've found what valve your using that is what makes your system work. I have the road ranger shift knob and the A5000 valve is the missing link to make this work with a dual acting cylinder. I can't do It with my valves cause they won't let the cylinder exhaust from both sides. The A5000 is basically a single pole dual throw relay but let's both the high range and low range exhaust when pressure is not applied to them. I will be getting this valve and going with and dual acting cylinder. I'll use my single acting cylinder for my exhaust brake.

If you read this pdf it explains exactly how to plumb the knob both old style and new style like mine. It also explains how they work and trouble shooting them. Thanks for this Greg. If you could can you post a video of shifting your truck and operation of the cylinder? A stationary video would be fine I just want to see how the cylinder operates.

GregSLSTJ

it's all made to work together so it's simple once you have it in front of you and like I said you can bench test it while drinking a couple cold ones..:beer:
When I get a chance (and figure out how to post it) I will upload a video.

GregSLSTJ

Looks good lieutenant Dan, those cylinders are stronger than you would think. That's why I cut pressure down, also it will help slow the action of the cylinder down a bit. If you had full 120 psi it would try to shift the transfer case to fast and most likely break something. Those cylinders are lightning fast!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks