• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting Nartron EESS to KDS S3

Bmagg81

Does anyone who has done this have a way to confirm if the harness has been modified to accommodate this conversion. This is a note included on the description of a smart start.
“ Only the 60 amp alternators can power directly through the control box. Basic and A1 vehicles upgraded to 100, 200, and 400 amp alternators must have the alternator wiring harness modification in place (done when the alternator is installed) so the alternators output does not go through the control box. Vehicles factory equipped with 100, 200, and 400 amp alternators have the battery direct wiring factory installed.“
I’m assuming the output of the alternator is the huge cable going to the battery box. Please confirm
Thanks in advance!!!

Gear Report

Not sure I understand the question.
I'm not aware of any dependencies between the Generator and Start Box.

Yes, the 200 Amp generator install kit comes with a large diameter wire that runs across the top of the engine and down the passenger side to the frame and battery box.

There is a good overview of the start system and different type of start boxes here: https://gear-report.com/help-hmmwv-wont-start-humvee-glow-plug-start-system-maintenance

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to document my 200amp generator install.

Bmagg81

I’m pretty sure they are meaning the big cable that runs across the top of the engine, I will look on my buddy’s truck he has a s3 and a 60 amp, I have a 200 amp and will be converting to s3, I didn’t want to cause myself any problems

papakb

If your just replacing the box the only thing you need to be aware of is that you have the correct matching temperature controller for your box. Otherwise they're form, fit and function interchangeable. Harnesses only get modified if your ungrading the alternator from the 60 amp basic to one of the higher power units and then the cabling to the batteries gets upsized and bypasses the control box.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The 60 Amp alternator output does / ONLY goes thru the Smart Start / Protective Control Box. The Pin's (contacts of the engine harness connector) are barely sized to handle the 60 amps. (Note can be a problem area) Charging system larger than 60 Amps will have outputs direct to batteries. This will be the 24 volt and or 12 volt outputs. Smaller control lead (ignition & AC sense) will still be connected to PCB.

Read that in the TM's.

DSCN1081.jpg

And two binders of notes.

CAM

Last edited:

Bmagg81

Thank you, that’s exactly the response I was after, I dug through the tm’s I have in my I books but I think I’m missing several, looked for 20 minutes and never found what you read

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks