• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting winch

jrobinson5093

What parts do I need to convert a m35a2 winch to be hydro like the m35a3. would the parts off a a3 work and if so where would I get them? I have a wow truck,but have the winch off of a m35a2 ww truck. rather that gettin up a drive shaft and pto and linkage I would just rather make it hydro.

mudguppy

i converted my PTO winch to hydraulic: Hydraulic Conversion of PTO Winch.

i used about half of the A3 parts - hydraulic motor, shaft coupler, motor-winch mount, and reservoir.

if i had not found the A3 parts, i had planned to fab or source a motor-winch mount and have a local machine shop fab the shaft coupler to mate to an off-the-shelf motor. this would not be very hard to do. but, i found the A3 parts on here from a member for a good price.

in addition, you'll need a hydaulic pump and valve. the A3 uses an engine mounted pump and an air operated control valve. i didn't see the value in mimicing this setup and got a higher capacity PTO mounted pump and more standard motor spool valve.

you could likely use a power steering type pump. however, if you use a standard control valve, then the hydraulic system will be running all the time (the A3 control valve has a built-in bypass when not in use). another option is to add an electric clutch onto your engine mounted pump - this way you can disengage it when not needed (99.99% of the time).

there's a good bit of consideration to properly match a hydraulic pump and motor for a set of specific output performance criteria, but isn't that really that hard.

i like my winch much better now - a true one-man operation. [thumbzup]

let me know if i can help.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both an A2 and A3 truck and both have winches. I have to say that I like my A2 winch better, and it gets a lot of use, mostly pulling logs and large rocks. I also don't like the hydraulic tank hanging under the front bumper. The PTO setup on my A2 has been very reliable. I never operate any winch by myself, but I can see this happening in certain unplanned situations.

jrobinson5093

I was planning on using some parts off a a3 just to make it easier. I was planning on puttin the fluid tank behind the cab on the drivers side. I removed the spare tire so this wont be a problem. I would rather have a pto style pump I just need a Pto that will work with the truck.

mudguppy

it's been discussed in a few other threads about PTOs fitting on the Spicer trans; the short answer is that it is looking to be completely obsolete. therefore, it would seem as though your only PTO options are:
  • OE Winch PTO
  • OE Winch PTO with rear output (rare, hard to find)
  • Transfer PTO
... then, use one of these setups to drive a remotely mounted hydraulic pump.

if you are converting a winch truck, then the easiest thing to do might be to drive your new pump from your existing winch PTO output via custom driveshaft or chain setup.

ballencd

How about some pictures of the winch converted to hydraulic? I.E. Hyd motor on the winch as mounted on stock bumper extensions......is there room for a motor? Has it been done with a shaft between motor and winch? Fabrication required? What motor was used? Inquiring minds want to know. I have a bobbed deuce converted to dump using 12V pump and want to change to hydro and use the same hydro system to power a winch. I have a factory winch but have never installed it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you'll have enough room to direct mount a motor with the stock radiator.

ballencd

What about an extension to clear radiator and mount pump to frame. I
have a m35 wo/w, but have a winch and PTO that came from another M35.. I have also bobbed the truck and put a dump kit on it and the 12V pump is a pain to use. I would like to convert the winch to hyd and use the same pump for both winch and dump. Just working on ideas at this point.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about an extension to clear radiator and mount pump to frame. I
have a m35 wo/w, but have a winch and PTO that came from another M35.. I have also bobbed the truck and put a dump kit on it and the 12V pump is a pain to use. I would like to convert the winch to hyd and use the same pump for both winch and dump. Just working on ideas at this point.
A remote mounted motor should work ok but if you also use your factory winch PTO, where are you going to mount the pump?

Here's a link to a hyd pump I added to a deuce using the winch PTO. As you can see in the pics, by the time you fit a pump in front of the PTO, that doesn't leave you much room to mount a motor. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-dump-project&p=714471&viewfull=1#post714471

There are other PTO options (accessory drive or transfer case PTO) to make it work if needed that won't be in the way of a hyd motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks