• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convoy maintenance trucks in Iraq.

32degrees

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it is common for 5 tons to be used as maintenance trucks during convoy operation in Iraq. Or is is more common for convoys to use HMMWV Contact Maintenance Trucks to do this type of duty. If 5 tons are used how are they deployed what type of tools and extra parts do they carry. Are they a gun truck/maintenance vehicle or what. Any info would be appreciated.

halftrack

Be A little more specific in where you live. That seems like a very specific question you are asking for being on this post for the first time.

To be frank, I don't trust you.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They use 5 ton wreckers.. The old school 5 ton "batmobiles" are all gone.. The HMMWV contact truck is the norm. Built up 5 tons are still used by units, but they are bascially cargo trucks with plywood sides used for carrying bench stock parts and PLL's.

No one does major maintaince outside the wire. If a truck cant be fixed in a few minutes on convoy duty. it gets towbared or wrecked to a secure area, where the mechanics can work on it.

32degrees

emmado22 its funny that you mention the FRS-H. I was researching an idea for a maintenance module to go on the back of a truck that could carry tires,a air compressor, and a basic load of tools. Something like the FRS-h but not that advanced.

32degrees

I can understand why you guys might see my question as a threat to convoys security. My job also deals with security issues when we transport our item.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the first FRS-H in the Army when I was in.. Worked great..

Whatever your item may be, you DONT want to have to do maintaince on it on the side of the MSR.. Thats just inviting indirect fire via mortars or directfire type of threats.. Not to mention the VBIED... Make sure you have provisions to towbar or tow it off to the FOB where repairs can be completed...

As for flats on the move, a "flat tire battle drill" is mandatory.. A humvee can have a pit stop style tire change with a Robo Impact, a "real" jack (not the humvee BII one)and a few trained soldiers in litterally a few minutes.. Larger trucks require a few more minutes, bigger tools, and the like, but training is the KEY thing.. The "the longer we stay here messing with this thing the more likely the bad guys will start shooting at us" is a GREAT motivator to get the job done quickly. Best case is EVERY vehicle has a robo impact or similar, but atleast 1 per 3 vehicles is not bad. Also, making sure all your lugs are "field breakable" with the tools you have is a good thing.. If the motorpool guys use a 1 inch air impact to put a tire on with, make sure your BII/OVM tools you carry on convoy can break the lugs. If not, you got problems.

PM me if you need more info or have OPSEC issues..

32degrees

The basic idea was a module that would fit on the back of military 5 ton and 7 ton trucks. It was part maintenance and part convoy security. It would work like this it would have a central isle going from the front of the cargo bed to back wide enough for a soldier to walk back and forth. Two soldiers would stay in this area and keep watch to the left and right side of the truck. Toward thw front on either side of the isle would be tire storage areas that would contain four boxes containing tires. When needed these areas would extended out using pneumatics and each box would lower to the ground using small 24volt winches that are powered by the truck. Once the box was on the ground the tire could be removed and rolled over to a vehicle. The module would also have a diesel powered air compressor to run all the pneumatic actions plus give two soldiers using impact guns the ability remove tires. The compressor would be located at rear of the cargo on the left side. On the right side at the would be a tool cabinet that would extended out and lower. This would enable basic quick fixes while also providing extra security. Do you think it would work or is it even needed.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an interesting idea, whats TACOM got to say about it? The winches need to go up and down FAST... It doesnt take much time to attract the attention of Haji.

Do a google search for 2LT Bryan Jackson from the 36th Infantry Regiment from September 27, 2006. It didnt take Haji long to zero in on the stuck humvee and the events that unfolded from there...

halftrack

Sorry about the bluntness 32degrees, but when someone jumps to convoy questions (espacially in Iraq), my guard goes up and bells and whistles ring in my head. I've seen too many innocent conversations turn into knowledge that if in the wrong hands could harm our troops and Marines. Its the small bits of info here and there that paint a big picture for GIHAD JOE to use against us.

rmgill

At Fort Indiantown Gap, I saw an ISO container that had an Air Compressor, generator, APU for hydraulics, tools, an arc welder and a K-boom crane like those found on the back of HEMMTs. It was a pretty cool piece of kit, but looked more useful sitting on the ground.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
In the many convoys I rode on in Iraq if we had a task vehicle with a flat tire the location drove the actions taken. In the south where most of the Iraqis are very friendly we stopped the convoy and fixed it while all the gun trucks pulled security and handed out water to the local farmers and kids.

Up in the hotter areas I mean hotter by gunfire hotter the truck would drive as far as he could with a flat or a wrecker would hook em and scoot if the vehicle got shot up and disabled or IEDed the situation drove the action and if you don't know the battle drills I am not at liberty to tell them here.

We tryed to drive as fast as we could and 99.8% of the Iraqi drivers know to stay away from a US convoy or Ma duece will speak up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks