• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Overflow

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a hole in my radiator neck under the cap where the coolant can expand and escape.

There is not a tube or reservoir of any kind to collect the coolant so it can return to the radiator as it cools.

Dumb questions - assuming I want an expansion tank:

is there a reason not to have an expansion tank?

How do I get a tube connected to that hole?

Braze a tube in?

Is there supposed to be a thread or friction fit tube?

How did the military do it?

OR Is coolant just supposed to leak on the ground so Soldier B can mindlessly top it off every now and then?

I’ve been Soldier B for the last 15 years or so.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a hole in my radiator neck under the cap where the coolant can expand and escape.

There is not a tube or reservoir of any kind to collect the coolant so it can return to the radiator as it cools.

Braze a tube in?

OR Is coolant just supposed to leak on the ground so Soldier B can mindlessly top it off every now and then?

My guess is that the solder joint that held the overflow tube in place - cracked and just was pulled off and thrown on the ground.
I don't know that I have ever seen an overflow box to collect the "spew".

Yes, I would think brazing would be the trick...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you got 24 hrs J B WELD ive JB ed a few radiator necks back to radiators that held up good !

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Braze a tube in?

On my truck the tube joint to the radiator was cracked. We rebrazed it along with other areas that had come apart. Seems pretty common prblem on these deuce radiators.

It is maybe 1/4 OD and just fits in the neck there and it brazed in. The tube runs down the side of the radiator to let the coolant overflow out lower to the ground. I cannot recall how long it was at the moment. No tank.

HDN

Well thereyago.

No recovery tank supplied or required.

It will self-level.
Agreed - even my 2002 1-ton GMC van has an overflow tube in the reservoir. It's connected to a hose that runs down the edge of the radiator where it can drain out any excess coolant to the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks