• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Surge Tank - Reservoir - Overflow

chazd1

I had a hair line crack in my M998 Surge Tank around one of the small top (pressure side) nipples.

I didnt resist the cheapest knock off version I found and regret buying it. It has/had a poor cheesy spot welds holding the fill cap neck (2 pieces) to the reservoir and no sealant at all between the two metal pieces. Of course it leaked. I did get a refund.

Now I am looking for the correct replacement. I like the square bottom B type since it holds a little bit more coolant.

What should I buy and from where? -- So I don't have this cheap knock off issue again? The welded aluminum ones are a bit much for me at this point.

The part number I find in the Parts Vol 1 TM-9-2320-280-24P-1 PAOZZ 2930012565350 19207 12340061

Part numbers that I have been using to search

12340061 (Square Bottom) 12340062 (Round Bottom)

)IMG_0276[1].JPGIMG_0277[1].JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum! Please take a few minutes to read the forum rules.
You can buy one directly from AMG or get one from the AMG retailers like Kascar or HPG
If you want to get the one from AMG (link above) contact them to see if one is available even if it shows in stock.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I had a hair line crack in my M998 Surge Tank around one of the small top (pressure side) nipples.

I didnt resist the cheapest knock off version I found and regret buying it. It has/had a poor cheesy spot welds holding the fill cap neck (2 pieces) to the reservoir and no sealant at all between the two metal pieces. Of course it leaked. I did get a refund.

Now I am looking for the correct replacement. I like the square bottom B type since it holds a little bit more coolant.

What should I buy and from where? -- So I don't have this cheap knock off issue again? The welded aluminum ones are a bit much for me at this point.

The part number I find in the Parts Vol 1 TM-9-2320-280-24P-1 PAOZZ 2930012565350 19207 12340061

Part numbers that I have been using to search

12340061 (Square Bottom) 12340062 (Round Bottom)

)View attachment 899024View attachment 899025
Take a look at his older thread. Surprised this is not more common. Knock-off or cheap butt part.

Coolant Tank Keeps Cracking!
Ok ...Back to tell the story. Ready? I too have had overflow tank issues. Being the guy that says "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or this time have some cash to throw at Mr. Humv so bought one of those new style overflow tanks. You see them all over for about a 100 bucks. Out of the box...
Another "ME TOO" HumV moment, CAMO

chazd1

Thanks!! @Mogman and @Milcommoguy

Sorting the wheat from the chaff with the good quality and the absolute junk parts is great help. It is terrific aspect of having knowledgeable folks (who have the experience) on the forum.

I will buy what is recommended today from AMG.

After I cobbed together the OEM Filler neck on the crap knock off I also noticed the threaded inserts in the knock off reservoir didn't have any of the plastic over the inserts... i suspected a small amount of pressure would pull the threaded inserts out... and indeed that is what happened. The OEM filler neck started leaking between the plastic and filler neck despite a new O-ring. Absolute junk.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!! @Mogman and @Milcommoguy

Sorting the wheat from the chaff with the good quality and the absolute junk parts is great help. It is terrific aspect of having knowledgeable folks (who have the experience) on the forum.

I will buy what is recommended today from AMG.

After I cobbed together the OEM Filler neck on the crap knock off I also noticed the threaded inserts in the knock off reservoir didn't have any of the plastic over the inserts... i suspected a small amount of pressure would pull the threaded inserts out... and indeed that is what happened. The OEM filler neck started leaking between the plastic and filler neck despite a new O-ring. Absolute junk.
Just make sure to check with them first, they have a glitch in their system that will show stock but that stock may be on "hold" for a government order.

chazd1

Some follow up on the Surge tank lesson.

I weighed the cheap knock off and the OEM tank.

The weights below are both square bottom 12340061 (Square Bottom). The original 12340062 (Round Bottom) " is shown in this pic.

Cheap Knock-off ---- 1 Lb. 11.7 Ozs
OEM ---- 2 Lbs. 3.1 Ozs

The quality different is striking.

Attachments

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
If a magnet stick to the brass looking parts... It's a knock off.
If it doesn't have inspection stickers "AGM"... It's a knock off.
If it doesn't hold pressure... It's a knock off.
If it's white as in plastic milk carton... It's a knock off.

I might be a red neck... But NO Red China parts for me, CAMO

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks