• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coordination of Tri-walls surplus items - Forum Suggestion

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forum suggestion/Parts wanted/Tri-Wall surprises coordination idea...

Looking for specific odd parts? - I was wondering if there is any mileage for either this forum or the major Surplus Vendors who buy random Tri-Walls of Vehicle Components where there is no specific details in the GL listing and they end up with oddities, for a list being compiled similar to the 5 ton civi parts cross reference list...

Due to the sometimes poor listing of Tri-Wall contents, vague NSN's, inability to do a GL search for an NSN and/or incomplete photos - I am sure that there are parts wanted that go by, un-noticed and end up in a Surplus Vendors or even S/S members "scrap pile" when it seems that it would be too much effort to identify then advertise items that appear useless yet are actually THE ONE PART required by a member.

Also, due to the volume of posts per day, any "part wanted" post, quickly disappears into oblivion never to be seen again by the casual viewer - who may just have that part left over from a Tri-wall purchase.

Thoughts anyone?

(I was going to include an odd part that I want, but that would probably detract from the "conversation" theme of this post/thread)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not that I run a business but I have dealt with a lot of boxes of odd parts in the past. The problem would be the employee manhours needed to pull the items, take pictures, research them, post them on the forum by which time the profit to loss margin is very small or it becomes a gold plated part.

So, sorry to say they may sit it on the shelves for awhile in the back of the warehouse or worse (outside) but it will eventually wind up as scrap.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is where a 'parts wanted' listing, WITH a picture or diagram, preferably both, the NSN and manufacturer's part number for easy identification would be helpful. Then the people with tri-walls of odd parts would have a single place to look to see if their 'unknown' part was wanted by someone. I've found some great parts going through CARNAC's misc tri-wall boxes, but realize it's too much for him to do it himself. The downside is there were some parts I didn't know I wanted until I saw them!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike/Carnac - I do agree that time and effort vs profit needs to be considered.
I guess I was hoping that the likes of Eastern etc., may make an inventory, by NSN when emptying their Tri Walls, maybe even using some kind of digital number reader/scanner. After that, a spread sheet could be made up in numerical order. There would be no need to actually identify or research each part, only the NSN and where it was stored after the number was taken.

Then it would be up to browsers wanting the part to fish through all the numbers of a vendor derived list, or a vendor crossreferencing an S/S list that included avatar name.. At that point the two parties could make contact.

I am not a spread sheet guy, so I guess I "tooth fairy'd" it. Wishful thinking.

But I did however post a Parts Wanted with pic and all relevant numbers for what I need at this point.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
We all wish for big bucks, but usually the money is for the labor.
One that buys boxes of unknown stuff for almost free
does become the seller of stuff.
It is important for the seller to know what seller is selling.

This has been going on since the rails carried freight and the US Post office was born.
A friend, long passed on, showed me a footlocker of Hughes rock-drill parts for
which He paid 10 bucks at the dead letter office. He did not have to work again that year.
He taught me the game and the odds so one has a better than a hundred 100 to one
chance which is better than any lottery.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you guys getting triwall mixed lots? Seems like GL always has things mostly categorized. Not like back in the DRMO live auction days. $300 bought you a grab box overflowing with CUCV, HMMWV, Deuce, 5 ton parts with who knows what else sprinkled in.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought. Seems this might make for an interesting project for some teen
to go through boxes of this stuff and try to find out what it was and learn about
military stuff. i know that when I was a kid I would have loved a project like this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks