• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

copyright on pics?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a way on the forum to share pics but stop people from copying/downloading the images?

In the same way, if you post pics in the albums, can people make external links directly to those pics? Better, can you stop those links?

Situation is I came across some pretty amazing pics I would like to share here. However, I do not want those pics suddenly linked and appearing all over the place. We were given access to make the pics but were asked to keep them from spreading around and alerting the wrong people (like theft and sharks zooming in on delicate stuff).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the old days we had watermarked the pics. Not sure what the forum is capable of these days. You can screen grab about any pics now-a-days, just lack definition.

Alexsha

If you put an image on the internet, it's there forever. To even view a picture means that you've downloaded it. If you don't want part of the image seen, crop/cut it out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can watermark it. Then chase to your hearts content with cease and desist requests for all that copy it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, from our rules.

Copyright: All photographs and printed material on SS.com are protected by US and International Copyright rules. Please do not reproduce any part of the SS website or forums without the approval of the site management. Copyright to posts and other information become the property of the SS website.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
also be aware that picture data can contain gps coordinates and dates embedded in the file.
EXIF data is not on every picture and you can get a program that allows you to screw with it. You know, a picture of an M1A1SEP with GPS of Red Square. Change the date to 2021.

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a way on the forum to share pics but stop people from copying/downloading the images?

In the same way, if you post pics in the albums, can people make external links directly to those pics? Better, can you stop those links?

Situation is I came across some pretty amazing pics I would like to share here. However, I do not want those pics suddenly linked and appearing all over the place. We were given access to make the pics but were asked to keep them from spreading around and alerting the wrong people (like theft and sharks zooming in on delicate stuff).
watermark the pictures yourself with photoshop, make them relatively low resolution (but useful), but know that there is NOTHING you can do to stop it... lawyers will make lots of money filing cease and desist letters for you, but its like playing whack-a-mole..

PERSONALLY.. i have many many (many) [did i say many] documents and materials that are on the web at radionerds that represent 100's (really 100's) of hours of work. They are given to the community. I see my stuff all over... its a good feeling to be talking to someone at a random show and have them show you the coolest thing they saw... from your site... gives you validation that people like your work..

My 2 c...

Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks