• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

correct color 1976 m880

armydodge

1976 dodge w-300 march 2013 003.jpgHi Guys,
New to site. Bought a w-300 a couple of years ago and now addicted and have 3 of them.
My current project is a w-300 that I am doing as an m880. I recently bought a front bumper that surprised me as it is military NOS. Came packed in disintegrated paper and some funky straw-like padding.
It seems to be 34079 flat forest green. Would these have been stocked by army ready to install and painted correct color? My research thusfar is that this is the correct period color for my project. Comments?
Also, will need a custom canvas for the bed I am building. Any help with suppliers and pricing experience would be most helpful. What is correct color and fabric?
I'm sure you'll hear a lot from me as I get the ball rolling on this one. Thanks.
Here's what I'm starting with.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would agree as that was the base color back then. I have one M890 that the cab inside was field drab 30118 and used it as the base when repainted but any NOS parts from that period seem to be forest green.

Remember we are all pretty much males on this site and are visual learners, so post pictures. Just about any car/boat upholstery shop should be able to make a cover but be ready for the bill.

Welcome to the site.002.jpg BTW nice truck!

Last edited:

armydodge

I would agree as that was the base color back then. I have one M890 that the cab inside was field drab 30118 and used it as the base when repainted but any NOS parts from that period seem to be forest green.

Remember we are all pretty much males on this site and are visual learners, so post pictures. Just about any car/boat upholstery shop should be able to make a cover but be ready for the bill.

Welcome to the site.View attachment 476260 BTW nice truck!
Thanks for the info. Is there a correct color and fabric for the cover?

armydodge

heres an update of my project w300 have built an aluminum bed, and gone through axles,brakes,engine etc and painted frame.
Time to buy the canvas, so what do i need? I have found suppliers but anything you can tell me about thickness, fabric would be helpful.
What are you guys using on your 6x6's?

nattieleather

Well you are going to need to find someone to make the cover or get an industrial sewing machine and make it yourself. If you want it to look GI and period correct you will need to find vinyl material that is either OD green or Forest green. I've seen the tops in both. Like the one pictured above is what I call OD green. Where as if you look around at other pics you will see the more Forest green one. You will need to have it made with one big section that goes over the bows and a front and end curtain that are sewn into onto the top so that when it's laid out flat it looks like a big cross or plus sign +. The side curtains will need grommetted holes that are for the fasteners that go by many names. Some call them turn fasteners, but Murphy fasteners, or Common Sense fasteners are the more common name for them. Then on the side of the bed you'll have to install the turn buttons of the Murphy fasteners to secure the sides down. Oh and the back or end curtain will need a rectangle window in it and zippers on each side to open it up for access to the bed. Front may have the zippers also but I don't remember. So there you go from the best of my memory.

Nice looking truck. I would have been tempted to leave the maintenance bed on and turned it into a contact maintenance truck.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted on how it comes out.

nattieleather

Here are a couple examples:

Here is one that is on a group like SS but for things that go boom. Truck and bed cover are pictured half way down. Good look at what the back end curtain looks like
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/4603-Australian-2Pdr-A-T-Gun-in-NY-!

This is of a CUCV but the top is almost identical to a M880's.
http://www.militarytrader.com/military-vehicles-news/buyers-guide-m1008-chevrolet-cucv-5-4-ton-truck

And here are two shot of the top from the side and the back. They are about halfway down the page.
http://www.operationeastwind.com/forum/index.php?topic=1465.30

Hope that helps.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job. Must be cold up there so come to Florida where it is a little warmer and build me a bed for my bobbed M818. Pretty Please.

N1265

Rustoleum Camo "Ultra Flat" forest green in the rattle can that can be had at any wal-mart, is so close to the original forest green that came on the truck that I use it for touch up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks