• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct M38 dimension ground to body

Texbillhs

I have real trouble climbing in my M38 - thought it was just because I am a bit older then when I was in the army. I have found the dimension for a CJ2B as being 17-7/16" ground to body at the driver's side. Mine ground to body is 21" and that is with new 7.00-16 NDCC tires - if the CJ2B measurement is right that is 4" too high. It doesn't look extra tall. The TM9-8012 doesn't show that dimension. If someone has a correct M38 - measure ground to body for me. I suspect either the fellow that did the ground up frame and body arched the springs or they are CJ5 or M38A1 or some other springs. I can't really tell - they look right, but then I am not sure what I should be looking for - how many leaves etc. I think the short term answer is I am going to have to put civy CJ2B steps on, if I can find them.

Texbillhs

I did find an MB to steering wheel number

I did find an MB to steering wheel number that is 52" - this M38 is 55" - I'll measure the windshield up tomorrow, but I know that would be different then an MB, but if mine is more then 74" it would answer my question. It looks to me if the MB is the same as the M38 steering wheel number mine is riding 3 or 4 inches high. I was at an re-enactment last weekend with more MBs then I have every seen in one place - getting in and out out those was easy. In Vietnam I often used a M151 - that was easy in - out. I have had 2 CJ5s (Willys) with steps, if one didn't use the steps it might be sort of like the M38 - the one I have. I think aside from a high step up, the seat to wheel is tighter - if someone with a M38 could confirm.

Last edited:

Texbillhs

so I guess it is right

with brand new rubber I guess 21" is correct. The windshield up that is 70" and I'd image top bows which I don't have yet would be the spec 74". Certainly a lot higher then an MB.

It is steps for these old bones, correct or not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks