• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank, then whine?

msoumas

I seem to have gotten all the luck with my M1009 so far. The latest issue I am having is with cold starts in the morning. I turn the key, wait for the glow plug light, then crank it and it cranks a couple times, then stops and makes a whining sound until I turn the key back. If I try again immediately it will crank again, then do the same thing, and it takes a few tries before the engine starts. It did this sparingly for a while but now seems to be doing it more and more often, and I'd like to fix it before I find myself stuck one morning. What could cause something like this to happen?

Mine did that right before the starter went out. I traced the problem to a 12V replacement starter that was spinning too fast when fed 24V. The whining sound was the starter spinning without engaging the flywheel. It lasted a few months, then one day trying to start it I cranked too long and burned it out. That starter was probably also responsible for grinding some teeth off the flywheel.

Search other threads here and you'll find info on replacing the starter and checking the flywheel.

Blood_of_Tyrants

It is the starter Bendix not holding out the starter gear. The Bendix is the small cylinder on the side of the starter with all the wires connected to it. Be sure to get a 24V Bendix.