• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crankshaft Ramsey PTO winch

dodjh

I have a 4K Crankshaft Ramsey PTO winch and was wondering how dependable and sturdy are those type PTO's?

Been very hard to get feedback on this subject...I hope someone can enlighten me to their durability and practical use of the,

ThanksCS winch.jpg

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You kinda of worded it weird.

A 4000 pound rated PTO driven winch will run as long as your motor does, they are very good winches. If you hook it up to a load above its capacity rating, it will break like anything else.

Are you asking about the roller fairlead?

dodjh

gimpyrobb, thanks for the reply....no I have the fairlead but not the parts to connect winch to crankshaft.

I had never heard of one before and wasn't sure how it would engage and disengage from crankshaft.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, technically, it is driven off the pto(power take off) from your transmission, not the crankshaft.

dodjh

gimpyrob, That is the way I'm used to seeing them hooked up but this one goes from the back of the winch straight to the engine crankshaft,

dodjh

Could someone tell me if a crankshaft PTO winch can also be driven by the Transfer case (Dana 18) if you wanted without a major ordeal. The connect point on the winch looks as if a yoke/knuckle
could connect to it.

Thanks

ducer

I do not think that is a crank driven winch because I see no way to reverse it. I believe it is a pto driven winch probably off of an old tow truck. In that case you will need a forward and reverse pto. Expect to pay about $500.00 for a used one or about $2,000.00 for a new if you can find them. If you are putting it on an 4x4 truck with an auto transmission make sure your transfer case has a neutral position and can accept a pto. If it is a manual pto can be transmission mounted but drive shafting will probably be a nightmare. 2 wheel drive with an auto can't be done, manual trans will need a pto off the transmission. I see it does have an early free spool mechanism on it though which is nice. Good luck.

Denny

dodjh

The fairlead and winch was offset to pass. side and directly in front of the crankshaft on the jeep I took it off of. The 101 Ramsey 4000 was made in '44' to '46' and I have seen photos of the set up. There is a clutch near the crankshaft and it must have something to do with reverse action.

I do understand about mounting regular PTO winches regarding if the host will be PTO acceptable. But this is the first time I have encountered a crankshaft driven PTO winch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks