• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Creating M1007 CUCV to be a Companion to my M1009 K5 CUCV

Elnaucity123

I recently bought a 1991 Suburban (last year of the Square-bodies) and have been converting it to be a companion to my 1985 K5 CUCV Military Vehicle. Cleaned the interior, repaired and covered front seats, fixed gear selector indicator, replaced dash speakers, replaced pin and bearing on driver's side door, and also sanded, primed, and repainted her. Sadly she is not a 6.2-liter diesel, but a brand new crate 350, with a new transmission, and transfer case.

Attachments

Barrman

Looking good. As similar as the two vehicles are. They are also vastly different.

The suburban has so much more room for sleeping and gear and just loves to go down the interstate. It also does very well off road. But, compared to the m1009 feels like a huge clumsy beast. The M1009 is so agile and maneuverable in tight situations. It also doesn’t feel as top heavy as the Suburban when going off camber.

However, getting out of the Suburban and getting into the M1009 for a long highway drive. At least in my experience, has always had me thinking of trailering or flat towing the M1009 behind the Suburban for use on trails. Maybe it is because I haven’t put a turbo on my M1009’s yet. Or, that I like to travel with my wife who seems to want to overpack and then pack some more.

My wife and I spent 2 weeks overlanding in Colorado a year ago in my M1007 “Cowdog” and enjoyed it immensely. But, we scaled back some of the trail activities due to it being really just too big feeling for this flatlander on the trails we did do if that makes sense. I am sure the M1009 would have been in the dirt more. But, we have to pay a 10 hour 100° driving day tax on both ends of a trip to the mountains. My wife won’t do that in the M1009.

My signature below is a link yo my YouTube channel. The Cowdog is featured a good bit in the videos.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks