• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Credit card info hacked on g.l.?

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys,
just a word of caution..my credit card company called me and told me they are sending me a new card (citi corp). They were noteified by a vendor i use that cc info was compromized..
I looked online at my last statement and my card was used by someone at a 'gas & go' for $170.56... It was also near g.l.'s main office.. And 1200 miles from me. I only use that card for g.l...and hagerty insurance..because of the high credit line.
Maybe it was just a fluke..maybe not..
Anyone else noteified?..

Kevin...

powerhouseduece

Hmm... Last year, I bid and won a M818 on gl, they tried to take the money and the bank declined the transaction. So I called the bank the next day and told them to let the charge go through and then called gl and told them to charge it agin. Well once agin it was declined. I still dont know why! well I said to hell with it and ended up defualting on the auction. Mabey my bank picked up on something I dident. Usally there good at picking up on stuff like that.

But you never know, there might be a crooked worker that likes free gas? :evil:

dm22630

I seriously doubt even IF a GL employee could access the numbers, that they would have the ability to program a blank card with them (card reader, pc, etc required).

I would say it is a coincidence.

2cents

stampy

Citibank had mine changed for security reasons, after I won my deuce and then the title billing went through but GL couldn't bill the credit card because it was cancelled., so they sent me a nasty email. I replied that I had nothing to do with citibank cancelling my card for security reasons and gave her a new number when I talked to her on the phone and she was more reasonable.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I won my duece three weeks ago from GL and I got this email from Citibank also

Important Security MessageThis is to inform you that your account may be at risk for unauthorized use. To ensure that it remains protected, we have:
Restricted Account Online access for this account number.
Issued a new Citi Card to you. When you receive your new card, please take the following steps immediately:1.Activate it as instructed on the sticker on the front of the card.2.Inform authorized users of this situation.3.Notify recurring billing merchants of the new account number.4.Register your new account number with Account Online for full access again

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cancel my 2 credits cards at least 5 times a year just to prevent any funny stuff. I to have only one card I use on GL.

Jake0147

I seriously doubt even IF a GL employee could access the numbers, that they would have the ability to program a blank card with them (card reader, pc, etc required).

I would say it is a coincidence.

2cents

It depends where the unauthorized shopping happens... I've got this one credit card I've had for going on fifteen years. I can rattle the number off the top of my head. I have done so at Walmarts, Lowes, Home Depot, a multitude of gas stations, the grocery store... Usually it's gas or smokes in the middle of the night when I don't have my wallet and change my mind about where I'm going. Other times when there's been a "detour" or other interruption to a trip in a company truck were the original fuel in the truck turns out to be not enough. I've rented hotel rooms that way when my time was up with no hope of getting home on the same day... Never, and I mean NEVER has anybody questioned me for an ID, or any verification of that number, even places that demand a license when I show the unsigned card (which Walmart and one Home Depot in Queensbury NY are the only two places I can think of that even do that anymore). I no longer consider programming a blank card to be part of the equation to make a card number thief a valid threat, nor do I consider it terribly difficult, as the UVM kids all seem to be able to obtain them for about a hundred bucks, they all program their favorite credit cards onto their driver's license strips where there driver's info is supposed to be....

I dont' consider credit cards secure in any way regardless of who they're going to, and always monitor them extremely carefully.

Sumoman

Hey guys,
just a word of caution..my credit card company called me and told me they are sending me a new card (citi corp). They were noteified by a vendor i use that cc info was compromized..
I looked online at my last statement and my card was used by someone at a 'gas & go' for $170.56... It was also near g.l.'s main office.. And 1200 miles from me. I only use that card for g.l...and hagerty insurance..because of the high credit line.
Maybe it was just a fluke..maybe not..
Anyone else noteified?..

Kevin...
I would not blame GL. As LEO I investigate this often, sometimes the information is taken while the transaction is taking place.. say if you are using the card once for dinner. There are readers you can buy online that scan the card and make copies. Also I would think about running a credit check.. You may be the victim of identity theft.

Sumoman

You guys want paranoid.. try this:

Did you know there are companies that track EVERYTHING you buy unless it is cash? Not just as a group but as an individual, that information is then sold to everything from businesses to governments.

Pay cash, it saves you from getting junk mail:roll:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can bet your bottom dollar that a company like GL, that allows massive backups in EUC and SF-97 processing because they are too cheap to hire a few $10 an hour data processors to handle the volume consider your personal information's security an extremely low priority.

I suspect GL is more worried about global climate change than your personal info.

That is to say ZIP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks