• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew cab 1971 am general

MaytagMan

I'm starting my crew cab project somtime next week, I've seen several forum's on this and if I'm going to take on the project I feel I need to start another one.
I will be starting with making the cab a four door. I've seen everyone doing things a bit different everytime. I plan to extend the frame and just move the original bed back about 4'. I'm going to leave it 6X6 but will make it super singles. I've seen modified trailer beds but not a big fan (looks best if it's bobed.) Cutting the original bed down sounds like a lot of time and work. I think it would save on time and money if I moved the existing bed.
I will post photos tomorrow of the original truck. I just put new battery's it it this morning to drive it to my shop, and I'm pulling the starter tomorrow.

MaytagMan

It will look similar to the M 36 I will have to move the axles back so they don't crush the back of the extended cab I'm not sure how far I have to move them back yet

dawico

You are going to need that whole parking area to turn it around after moving the axles.

Good luck and keep the pictures of progress coming!

MaytagMan

You are going to need that whole parking area to turn it around after moving the axles.

Good luck and keep the pictures of progress coming!
Lol, we need the entire parking lot for a standard m35 to turn around. It can't be that much worse.
I will keep the photos coming

dilligaf13

Hold off on moving the axles back (it's a pain to move the axles in a deuce) you might be able to end the cab where the front mud flap is located and save yourself some grief.

MaytagMan

Just rebuilt the starter installed it push the start button one time and it started. Its been about a year, you gotta love the Deuce and a half things in sitting for so long will still crank up

camoyj7

MaytagMan

I will be starting with making the cab a four door. I've seen everyone doing things a bit different everytime. I plan to extend the frame and just move the original bed back about 4'. I'm going to leave it 6X6 but will make it super singles.

That's what I ended up doing. It worked out good it just needed P/S for tight parking lots!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?68590-Seabee-Deuce-Crew-Cab-Project/page21
I like it!
From what I can tell so far I think I'm going to move everything back about 55"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks