• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross Country convoy - MVPA Bankhead 2015

bcowanwheels

yes, its the coolest running t-case I,ve ever seen or herd of. by chance did you shoot temps after the longer drive > more importantly did you have a good time ? hope so. it might pay you to check fluid level inside t-case now.
bob

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dougimes: I just thought of something that you might want to check: rear axle seals. When was the last time you replaced them?

Get ahold of a product called Militec-1 its a super metal conditioning additive, tested world wide and used by the Navy on nuke submarines. It's fantastic on fire arms, increases velocity, accuracy and clean up. Ive used it in engines, power-trains, and tools, we use it on our locomotives and the bearings run 20-50 degrees cooler test after test.

Its pricey but worth it if you are running older equipment.

militec1.com

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get ahold of a product called Militec-1 its a super metal conditioning additive, tested world wide and used by the Navy on nuke submarines. It's fantastic on fire arms, increases velocity, accuracy and clean up. Ive used it in engines, power-trains, and tools, we use it on our locomotives and the bearings run 20-50 degrees cooler test after test.

Its pricey but worth it if you are running older equipment.

militec1.com
It'd be nice if their web site mentioned how much to use (at least I couldn't find it on their site). $25 for 4oz, not bad if all you need is 4oz to get the benefits to vehicles that they claim but if you need a quart?

We use a few ounces per quart then re treat after so many hours/miles, it gets cheaper by volume of course. A 4oz bottle is for a fire arm cleaning kit, I'd put about 8-12 oz in a M715 t-case. There is a usage table available but I haven't looked for it on the web site, call a rep, all that I have dealt with are decent folks.

bcowanwheels

I,ve run Castrol syn gear 80w140 for 20+ years. never a issue but I never drive over 45 mph and not for long even at 45. I,ve put 67k on my rig. still 5:87 gears with locker in rear. my engine is weak now and if I install my N.O.S. engine I,ll leave stock r&p gears but if I go sbc then 4:56,s will be in it. oh yea got hummer tires on it also.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you were able to register in time (honestly I may rant but hope you get to go). I tried to register in early July and they basically told me to eff off. If you're not registered by April of this year they're not interested in you taking part. Nice for those who know their schedule 6 months in advance. Personally I can see if they reach a point where there are too many vehicle you cut off registration but to arbitrarily say "April's it" without any other guidelines seems a bit dense.
I bet I could just follow along anyway. What could they do, have me thrown off a public highway? i will keep a closer eye on events for next year.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet I could just follow along anyway. What could they do, have me thrown off a public highway? i will keep a closer eye on events for next year.
They are public roads but what's the point? I can drive them on my own. I don't need to be in a group that wants to limit participation. I can find my own hotel if needed so the idea that they have to cut things off 6 months in advance is a bit thin. Like I said, if they had a vehicle participation limit I'd understand that but the idea that "it's April so no more" sounds like someone with a little power going to their head. I have a much better event in October, a trail ride at Ft Hood (which I might add registration closes 3 days before the event) where I'm sure the company and festivities will be far better.

dougimes

I read up a bit on Tcase gear oil. The info from mobil and a few other sources isn't what I was expecting to hear, or what I have been doing, so here it is. I have been using 75-140 in tcases, figuring thicker is better for things that get hot. Jeep specifies 90w, for climates above 32f. I looked at the specs for the 140, and the viscosity at 200F is actually too high. The oil people say if the viscosity is too high, it will run hotter, oil will tend to whip and get hot. Heat transfer to the outside of the case is worse with air-entrained oil. The 75-90 synthetic has the same viscosity at 200F as 90w sae. I drained the 140 and loaded 75-90syn. took it for a half hour drive, hot day. The temp was 185, and it was a little quieter. I will take it out on a longer drive when I have a little time, but I think I am headed in the right direction, but it didn't feel right pouring that "thin" oil into the tcase.

saddamsnightmare

August 23rd, 2015.

bcowanwheels:

Every man is an expert, or so he thinks. I have driven M715's with 4 pallets of common brick at 45-50 all day long, and they never complained. I have driven a 1963 Unimog S404.114 for 10 hours a day at 50 MPH with a load, and it handled it easily. If you take care of the machine, and do the preventative maintenance, they will do just as well as the modern vehicles, and I have seen more two and three year old trucks and cars dead on the road then I have seen 50+ year old Army trucks.

Hang on to your opinions, I believe the OP may well make you look, shall we say, under-informed or mis-informed. If his truck acts up, its only about 45 years old, but then any vehicle can act up, that's why new ones have warranties! If I could figure out how to bring the KIA diesel version of this truck into the US, I would eat most modern Ford, Dodge or Chevies lunches, as I have often done with my Unimog in every case except Over The Road speed, but then I have all day to get there (sometimes it takes two or three days). Cheer up, Negative Waves never did anyone good, Moriarty!;)

The new trucks owner's really hate it when I drag them out of an axle deep mudhole with no spinning or strain on an 85 HP engine. The old Unimogs use brass transfer (FWD and Transmission unit) case bearings, so they won't go much over 45-50 flat out, the newer U1300L's with the right axles will do 70 MPH all day long with a load.

I have also seen a 1910 Model T go coast to coast on its own wheels and power, so the newer vehicles will not be able to say that at 107 years from now.... You are entitled to your opinions, others are entitled to theirs, that's what makes this farm work so well.2cents

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks