• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crude oil

mikes47jeep

Well since you’re from PA, I would guess you would be getting Pennsylvania sweet crude.

And I do believe some of the oil field pumping engines out there run right off the straight crude,

So I would say what the heck, filter it good and maybe cut it with some kerosene

Too bad you didn’t have a diesel on a stand to torture test

Mike

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since you’re from PA, I would guess you would be getting Pennsylvania sweet crude.

And I do believe some of the oil field pumping engines out there run right off the straight crude,

So I would say what the heck, filter it good and maybe cut it with some kerosene

Too bad you didn’t have a diesel on a stand to torture test

Mike
Most of the pumps here in michigan run off the natural gas that comes up with the oil.

bill2444

there should be a crude way of distilling the crude, Way back before refineries people powered engines/machines and most of them lived.

garp

there should be a crude way of distilling the crude, Way back before refineries people powered engines/machines and most of them lived.
the bad parts is not being included in the "most" catagory. The home distillation of crude oil is a seldom practiced art for a reason.

Heath_h49008

The oil boom in my area was in the late 1930s... these wells are still here, they just don't produce enough to interest most commercial activity. (Western Michigan... the "Bloomingdale" field.}

Considering we own our mineral rights, and it's less than 1500ft deep, I'm interested in options.

I'm in the power generation business. We have customers that burn straight crude in their 200,000 HP gas turbines. Those that have the best light sweet crude (Saudi) still totally trash the hot gas path components. Their turbines require total refurbishment on a yearly basis. Their avoided fuel cost more than makes up for the service life hit.

Several of my customers use the methane recovered during the crude stabalization process to power their turbines. Very good and clean fuel.

At the opposite end of the quality issue are the SW USA deposits that are more tar than oil. In the old days, it would take them 3 barrels of this oil/tar to produce enough steam to recover 5 barrels. Now, they have converted to using gas turbines burning methane 92%+, to produce electricity, and recover the gas turbines waste exhaust heat to produce steam to inject into the oil field to melt the product so it can be pumped out of their deposits.

All that said, yes, you can burn crude oil in your multifuel engine. However, your results will vary dramatically depending upon the quality of your crude. Since your crude will not be stabilized to remove any of the entrained gasses that are very dangerous, and potentially fatal. Safety first, and NEVER intentionally breath or even smell the fuel vapour from your fuel tank or storage tank. It could be the last thong you ever smell.

I'm in the power generation business. We have customers that burn straight crude in their 200,000 HP gas turbines. Those that have the best light sweet crude (Saudi) still totally trash the hot gas path components. Their turbines require total refurbishment on a yearly basis. Their avoided fuel cost more than makes up for the service life hit.

Several of my customers use the methane recovered during the crude stabalization process to power their turbines. Very good and clean fuel.

At the opposite end of the quality issue are the SW USA deposits that are more tar than oil. In the old days, it would take them 3 barrels of this oil/tar to produce enough steam to recover 5 barrels. Now, they have converted to using gas turbines burning methane 92%+, to produce electricity, and recover the gas turbines waste exhaust heat to produce steam to inject into the oil field to melt the product so it can be pumped out of their deposits.

All that said, yes, you can burn crude oil in your multifuel engine. However, your results will vary dramatically depending upon the quality of your crude. Since your crude will not be stabilized to remove any of the entrained gasses that are very dangerous, and potentially fatal. Safety first, and NEVER intentionally breath or even smell the fuel vapour from your fuel tank or storage tank. It could be the last thing you ever smell. We routinely carry hazgas monitoring devices when working these sites.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that said, yes, you can burn crude oil in your multifuel engine. However, your results will vary dramatically depending upon the quality of your crude.
The quality of crude oil at the wellhead in the USA varies dramatically.

In Railroad Valley Nevada I have seen the nastiest crude imaginable, it was mostly paraffin, and just 50 miles north or so, the lightest and sweetest crude I have ever had the privilege to refine.

The former you couldn't even possibly burn it as is in an engine. It would barely make it through the refinery, and we had a lot of residual as waste product. The sweet crude, you could just about dump it in any diesel tank and run it. In a multifuel engine, no problem.

So the deal with crude, is that you get what you get at the wellhead. You can just about dip your fingers in it and smell it. If it smells like fuel, it probably is. If it smells like gunk. Well, it is probably just that.

No matter what, if you are trying to burn unrefined fuel, well... It is unrefined. It still has all the crap in it that it came with out of the hole in the ground.

It's not the same as No. 2 Diesel.

Just sayin.

It could be the last thong you ever smell.
Oh yeah. Then there is that.

If it is the last thong I ever smell, I hope it's worth it.

dozer1

Oh yeah. Then there is that.

If it is the last thong I ever smell, I hope it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

:shock: :shock: I am convinced. In the very unlikely event that I ever have a chance to burn crude oil, I will pass it up and go fill up with #2 diesel.

LOL, great info though

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks