• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crystal clear biodiesel

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure, but filters really easy, as a matter of fact filtering for the deuce with its tripple filtering system is probably not necessary. :)

A different recipe? No, I have my fixed formula (I don't do any titration), so with the right combination of grease, oil, temperature and enough stirring, the batch comes out clear. It helps to let it sit for a few days too.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool pic Bjorn. I still have your 55 gallon drum full of 48 gallons ;) of WVO behind my office for you when you are ready.

bottleworks

You don't titrate? How do you know if you have added enough NaOH, or added too much? How much lye per liter do you add? Are you using 22% methanol...more, less? Does it pass the 3/27 test?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has become an art. :)
I use about 21% methanol any extra stays with the biodiesel, the amount of sodium hydroxide is about 25 ml/l of methanol.
The quality of the oil has not changed much over the last couple of years, so the result is pretty constant. I'm not selling any of it so the ASTM standards are not an issue.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to Google:
"The so-called 3/27 test, or Jan Warnquist's test, detects under-converted oil. To perform this test, dissolve 3 ml water-free biodiesel in 27 ml pure methanol in a sealed vial, and see whether any oil drops out. If it does, it's a 'fail'."

I might try it later today if I remember to do it. It really wouldn't matter anyway since I use a mix of BD, WVO, VO and diesel in the fuel tank, but to test the process, yes, okay.

Edit: Did the test and the result was a uniformly clear liquid, nothing dropped out. Note: It's not a "sealed vial" and the proportions are multiplied by 3 for larger sample. FWIW, a picture below.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clarity of the biodiesel is also as a result of letting it sit for a longer period of time. It turns out that the pH value drops from a caustic 8 or 9 after one day to close to a neutral 7 after a couple of weeks. It shows that the process continus. It's better aged. :) Perhaps even an alternative to washing with water, need input from chemical engineering type here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks