• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS connector P110 help please

duanejacques

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so I had purchased a great running M1078 and noticed when I bought it that the CTIS connector that connects to the CTIS controller was missing. I was fine with it until now. I have done some exploring and found that the connector P110 was cut off and the rest of the cable was pushed into the bulkhead hole. I was thinking that I would try to locate the cannon plug connector with the pins and re=attach it to the control unit. Does anyone know where I might find the part numbers? or would it be best just to order the whole harness as seen on Ebay?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2 cents...if money is not that much of an issue, buy the NOS harness. That seller is on here and a huge contributor to the forum. Why try and make a splice, when you will probably spend less time installing a harness? Keep us posted.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2 cents...if money is not that much of an issue, buy the NOS harness. That seller is on here and a huge contributor to the forum. Why try and make a splice, when you will probably spend less time installing a harness? Keep us posted.
I agree this is the *best* method but also feel I should point out that the CTIS harness removal and installation requires that you pull the HVAC/Heater box out since the harness routes behind it. Also not every truck has the same harness since the option pins that set the module's pressure setting program are wired differently on M1088/M1089 than they are on other trucks, and the older trucks also don't have J1939 capable modules so depending on the harness those pins may or may not be present, etc. I don't know how many harnesses there were, but if I had to guess I would say at least four and possibly more than that.

The one that Will has listed does not appear to have the Deutsch connector for power that is used on the A1 and later trucks. I can't see it in any of the pictures but part numbers would tell the story. Have to dig into the TM's with the truck's serial number, etc.

KN6KXR

I don't have the part number handy at the moment but they are listed in a CTIS thread I commented on over in the M939 forum...

For my M936A2 I built a "breakout harness" where I ordered the 24 pin male and females with socket soldered connections then patiently soldered them together wire by wire. During this process I broke out the power and J1939 by doubling up the wires and leading the extra over to a 9-pin diagnostic connector. I then used an STE/ICE kit cable and dearborn adapter that came with it to plug into a laptop and was able to talk to the system usign the Dana software. The STE/ICE kit was surplus and the cable pieces could all be found on different electronic warehouse sites like Mouser, Allied Electronics, etc...

I recently acquired a 1998 M1078 with non functioning CTIS. I had 5 flashing lights and it turns out the pressure transducer was shot. So a $20 one from Amazon plugged right in with the same plug and it started working. It promptly flattened all the tires. This happened when I got my M936A2. I have my work cut out for me.....

I tried to use the STE/ICE kit and my harness because this truck has the big round plug and I could use the comm box I got in the kit. It powers up but doesn't talk to the CTIS. I don't think the CTIS on the A0 trucks are wired to the diagnostic system on the truck. I need other software to talk to other parts of the truck. I know it's making a handshake I just don't know the truck well enough yet so I don't know exactly what it's trying to talk to.

I then tried plugging in my custom breakout harness and it won't power on the dearborn adapter. So I sat down and looked at the schematic and the pins for power and comms are different between the M939 series and FMTV. At some point I'll order another set of connectors and get to patiently making a breakout cable again. There is a lot of tiny little soldering and heat shrink and stuff to do it right. When I do that I'll try to remember to post up a little tutorial. Making a breakout harness is the only way to talk to the unit and reprogram as far as I can tell since it isn't connected to the rest of the truck diagnostic system. Just like my M936.

It might take a minute. My other truck taught me not to waste time with flattened tires and tons of time refilling them. I know now to start with wheel valve rebuilds, hub pressure tests, hub seals as needed (the M936 needed 4 done), and to work my way back to the PCU from there.....

KN6KXR

OK so I got my box of packaging I saved from making my breakout harness for the CTIS so I can make another one. It takes these parts:
1) The panel mount connector to mimic the one on the side of the CTIS computer, and plug into the harness, is PT02E-16-26P here's a link https://www.digikey.com/en/products...GENyDGHY7xToUBYqqTtW8HA4gvsKCZ0xoCW6gQAvD_BwE
2) The connector for the other end, to plug into the CTIS computer, is PT06A-16-26S(SR) here's a link https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/amphenol-industrial-operations/pt06a-16-26s-sr/2510869
3) I broke mine out into a J1939 connector ATC-17-9-1939PN here's a link https://www.digikey.com/en/products...GENyDGHY7xToUBYqqTtW8HA4gvsKCZ0xoCW6gQAvD_BwE
4) The pins you need for the 9-pin Amphenol connector listed above are AT60-202-16141 here's a link https://www.digikey.com/en/products...GENyDGHY7xToUBYqqTtW8HA4gvsKCZ0xoCW6gQAvD_BwE

You may decide, depending on what you have, to break out into a different connector than what I used. The connectors in 1 and 2 above are soldered you may decide to crimp. I am by no means of the imagination a subject expert! Do your homework. I do know that I built one that works and will build another that will work. One for the M939A2 and one for the M1078A0 (as the pinouts are different). I suggest you leave at least 12" of wire between the two 24 pin connectors I built my first one short it's kind of a pain. Print out the CTIS manual schematic page and get it all mapped before you start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks