• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS on wheel

RAJ LMTV

How do you remove the CTIS from the wheel? I am changing out tires and not quite sure how to disconnect the CTIS from the hub.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the hose that leads to the lug nut. Using an adjustable wrench, unscrew the bolt that attaches the banjo fitting. Don't lose the flat washer gasket underneath.

RAJ LMTV

Well I thought I understood but I'm still missing something. Attached is a photo of the wheel. I have the CTIS removed but there is still this one part coming thru the wheel attached to a flex hose. How do I get this fitting off so the wheel can be disassembled? Thanks

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RAJLMTV, how does that valve-looking part attach to the stem coming out of the wheel? Looks like o-ring seal? I have one wheel set up like that (all others have that valve parallel to the wheel, not perpendicular) and the joint is damaged beyond repair. It looks to have been jammed together with RTV, and was holding air until I removed it to change the tire.

Note that the stem is threaded internally but a Schrader valve will not fit (on mine anyway).

thanks,

Bob

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The elbow seals with an oring, a standard size schrader valve can be installed in the valve stem if the CTIS is removed however a standard air chuck doesn't work to add air due to how deep the valve sits and the diameter of the stem. The correct valve stems are available from a few online vendors, i purchased some and recently changed them out on MRAP rims. If you need more details let me know.

RAJ LMTV

Looks like Smike answered it but it is an oring seal. You have to unscrew the elbow first or else it hits the rim and stud when you try to unscrew it. That's the part I was confused about at first. It looked like a solid piece but with a bit of big wrench encouragement it came apart then the piece remaining unscrewed easily off of the valve stem.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing the valve pictured is called a kneeling valve and is only used on the front tires. The purpose is to allow the quick release of air from the tires to reduce the front height for shipping. I think they reduce the pressure to 10 or 20 PSI. There is a slotted fitting on the top that is turned to release the air. The 2 on my truck have slow leaks, I plan to replace them with the standard 90 degree fitting used on the rears which are commercially available parts.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 90 degree fitting is still available from Dana however I just tried to purchase 2 and there is a 3 month lead time so i am also in the need for 2 of the normal ones that were on the rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks