• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 1986 M1008 - In a Real Pickle - Bad Heads - Need Advice

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed Viton return lines in my diesel VW pickup, and cut an inch section that I plugged with a small bolt and hose clamp to replace the rubber caps. Never had any issues so far. I got the lines from McMaster-carr, they were something like $3.75 a foot in the size I needed. Hopefully that’s helpful for you! Really liked reading your thread so far, it’s great to see all the successes you’ve had on this truck, despite the consistent issues… but constant work is what keeps us sharp.
I'm going to order some Viton tubing soon, had some other 1/8" fuel hose to use temporarily on the line that was leaking. McMaster is $6.60 ft + $10 shipping now. Duda Diesel has it for $3.58 ft but shipping is $18.... :roll:

Good idea on making the plugs, don't know why I couldn't think of that. Thanks for the tip.

Have done a whole bunch of work to the truck since january, have other threads about those "exploits". These fuel lines are about the last of the repairs and maintenance I need to get done... at least I hope it is. Can't afford to do more right now and I need the truck.

Last edited:

87cr250r

The fuel injectors likely have metric barbs on them but I promise the 1/8 tubing fits well. I have used the 1/8 for years and I don't use any clamps on the tubes. I suggest the McMaster route because you're guaranteed to get Viton tubing. You won't know what you're getting elsewhere.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel injectors likely have metric barbs on them but I promise the 1/8 tubing fits well. I have used the 1/8 for years and I don't use any clamps on the tubes. I suggest the McMaster route because you're guaranteed to get Viton tubing. You won't know what you're getting elsewhere.
well, thats true. about how many feet does it take for all of it? I know the one line going from the front injector to the hardline is longer. I was going to order 10ft just to have extra, but I think about 6 or 7ft would probably be enough.

87cr250r

I think 5 feet did it but I don't recall. I would also get the 1/4 inch hose out of the injection pump in Viton as well. Fuel is hot there too.

Make sure you get the thick walled tubing.

87cr250r

The SAE 30R9 and 30R10 are also acceptable for the IP return as they are high temp rated. 30R9 has a Viton liner and CPE jacket. I believe 30R10 is Viton in and out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks