• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Auto vs Manual Trans

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, looking for some real world experience with folks who have driven 6.2 powered trucks with a stick and a comparison between both. I have 99% of the stuff I need to do a swap. At one point the swap was needed for a PTO but now the need is gone. I'm still considering it so that I may teach my children to drive it. I'm hoping for a comparison with the SM465 and not so much the NV4500 as that isn't an option (or desire). I have a twin stick 205 with a cable shifter but a location for the shifter causes concern for a 3rd passenger. I think I might just keep the 208. Any real world insight would be appreciated.

Edit to add, this swap would be in one of the trucks, not a blazer.

Last edited:

dependable

Having run some civilian 6.2s, I'd say this motor is generally better off with an automatic. The torque converter helps with the general lack of torque. The SM465 is pretty much a 3 speed with a granny gear, so it does not help with that much. If you were going to go manual, 5 gears would be better.

I also have a c-20 with a 4 speed muncie with over drive, but the gap between 2nd and 3rd is a problem with any load or grade.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where I work we used to have several older 1 ton flat bed trucks with the 6.2 and sm465 transmissions.
They were worked hard, but held up and they drove fine with that engine and tranny combo. Normal driving is done using 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. When loaded heavy you would use the granny low first gear. I had more than a little seat time in them. I even used one of them to take a very heavy drum conveyor system I bought at a surplus auction to the scrap yard about a mile from the site. That load was 9,200 plus pounds on the weight ticket.
They were not fast vehicles, but would move with traffic flow even on the interstate so I see no reason not to do the swap if you really want to. I personally think it would be pretty cool. I taught both of my kids to drive with a stick shift before an automatic.

KansasBobcat

I still think everyone should know how to drive a stick. That said, automatics have their advantages especially in traffic. Teaching my younger daughter cost me a clutch in a Trooper but I still think it was money well spent.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If not going overdrive, why waste time and effort? I prefer sticks but if there is no gain, why put sweat equity into it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I failed to mention that I have a Ranger Torque Splitter to throw into the mix. I was mainly interested in commentary on folks that had seat time with a 6.2 and 465 combo. I guess the person I really hoped to find is the guy with a 465 swapped into CUCV.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Oilcan swapped a 6.2 465 into his m715 but that is a different beast, 5.88 ring and pinion. It was a fun truck offroad!

Chaski

Folks, looking for some real world experience with folks who have driven 6.2 powered trucks with a stick and a comparison between both. I have 99% of the stuff I need to do a swap. At one point the swap was needed for a PTO but now the need is gone. I'm still considering it so that I may teach my children to drive it. I'm hoping for a comparison with the SM465 and not so much the NV4500 as that isn't an option (or desire). I have a twin stick 205 with a cable shifter but a location for the shifter causes concern for a 3rd passenger. I think I might just keep the 208. Any real world insight would be appreciated.

Edit to add, this swap would be in one of the trucks, not a blazer.
I have two friends that both run around in 6.2 powered blazers with a SM465, 203/205 doubler and 5.13:1 locked axles with 40" tires. They both beat the daylights out of their rigs and all I have to say is that you won't break that gearbox. With a Ranger overdrive I think it would be a pretty good setup. Not really the best setup for the highway, but for off road that is one tough case, and has that super low first gear.

dependable

Had seat time with 6.2 and SM456, in a K-30 duelly dump. Pretty sure it had a 4:56 like the CUCV. Have three CUCVs converted in same configuration, I think they drive better. In casual driving, you have to run up the RPMs more between gears than with the TH400. That would be fine if 6'2s liked high RPM, or had a turbo boost to look forward to as you rev it up, but that is not the case.

The low gear on the SM465 was useful, but more so in 2WD applications, as the transfer case adds plenty of low end.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have A k30 DUMP, 86 MODEL, 6.2l WITH SAME 4:56 GEARS as the CUCVs. Hydraulic clutch set up, easy shifting, better for hauling the heavy loads maybe (low low) but just seems like a matter of personal choice. Have a PTO driven dump off the trans also. Ironically the truck started life as a US ARMY base firetruck.
Way easier to drive than my 83 K30 gas dually pickup with 4:10s and a mechanical clutch set up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks folks, lots of good info. GM72K10, I saw your build on another website. I love that truck.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My daily driver is a stick and my wife's daily driver is a stick so I have a fair amount of "stick time" and a lot of miles towing our RV in all kinds of terrain with a stick. With that said, all of my MVs are now automatics and are much nicer for driving around and in stop and go traffic. If the vehicle has a reliable automatic (TH400 is tough), I would go with that.

Your kids will probably never come across a stick unless they buy one or an acquaintance or family member has one. Use that one to teach them. It doesn't take long if they are mechanically inclined.

nyoffroad

Guess I failed to mention that I have a Ranger Torque Splitter to throw into the mix. I was mainly interested in commentary on folks that had seat time with a 6.2 and 465 combo. I guess the person I really hoped to find is the guy with a 465 swapped into CUCV.
I have two CUCV's one has a 700R4 and is my daily driver, the other is almost exactly as you described right down the the Ranger TS. I picked it up at a trans. shop in Buffalo NY years ago with no real project in mind for only $100! The shop owner had retired and was selling unclaimed stuff. Anyway, I've got the 6.2 with the Ranger gearbox then a SM465 with 4.11 (or 4.10s can't remember). Don't forget that you need to shorten the rear drive shaft 8" and lengthen the front 8" and cut the shifter hole 8' farther back than normal. I've yet to finish the truck but I have driven it up and down the street and she really seems to want get up and go. It's kinda odd having a low overdrive :)I think it will be a very good highway cruiser. With any luck at all I'll be finishing the interior this winter and she'll be on the road in the spring.

nyoffroad

I just went and checked out the Ranger site and WOW I knew I got a deal but WHAT A DEAL! I also noticed that they are now made of cast aluminum and weigh about 80lbs, the one I have is cast iron and much heavier. Also noticed the new ones are 7.5 or 7.75" not 8. Just wanted to throw that out there!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the aluminum box. I've got lots of seat time with 465 trucks but all were gas. the 465 sucked on the 2-3 shift as the gears were wide ratio difference. Having the splitter gives me a gear between and the OD. I think is going to be worth the effort. Nyoffroad, when you did your did you just cut holes in the floor or go with the removable hump?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two CUCV's one has a 700R4 and is my daily driver, the other is almost exactly as you described right down the the Ranger TS. I picked it up at a trans. shop in Buffalo NY years ago with no real project in mind for only $100! The shop owner had retired and was selling unclaimed stuff. Anyway, I've got the 6.2 with the Ranger gearbox then a SM465 with 4.11 (or 4.10s can't remember). Don't forget that you need to shorten the rear drive shaft 8" and lengthen the front 8" and cut the shifter hole 8' farther back than normal. I've yet to finish the truck but I have driven it up and down the street and she really seems to want get up and go. It's kinda odd having a low overdrive :)I think it will be a very good highway cruiser. With any luck at all I'll be finishing the interior this winter and she'll be on the road in the spring.
Did you go with the removable floor pan or just pop holes in the floor of the truck?

nyoffroad

I've been lucky enough to acquire a "few" spare parts over the years and I cut the hump out of a rot box and used it as a replacement. I Figured that way if I ever have to work on it Hopefully I can do it from the top. I wish I had bucket seats in it, the shifter pushes against the seat pretty hard in reverse. No way can a third person ride in it.
I used up a lot of my spare over the years, when my son was 16 or so he dragged home a real POS chevy truck. It was rusted real bad and had a 6 cyl & std tranny. I ended up replacing the cab & bed(stored at friends farm)the complete front end from the attic of my garage, and the engine and tranny all with out buying any major parts! I even painted it red and white with paint I had on hand. I don't think he had more than $300-400 in that truck. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks