• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV: How many volts should read at Glow Plug? Relay?

MuddWeiser

I am trying to figure out my starting problem.

I am pretty sure it is air but am also curious abou the glow plugs.

I turn on my key and I get the wait light and can hear the relay/solenoid cycling on/off (wait light turns off after the first cycle)...

I checked the voltage of the ORANGE wires (2 heavy duty wires on teh BOTTOM of the solenoid/relay) and I get 23.7volts.

I then checked with a voltmeter, the positive feed touching the GREEN glowplug feed wire, and negetive feed touching battery ground. I get 22-23 volts throughout the different glowplugs.

This seems to make sense to me EXCEPT I thought I read somewhere that the only 24v thing on a CUCV was the starter? Are my glowplugs getting too much voltage?

WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE?

mangus580

The glow plugs are a variable voltage, starting up around 22-24, and dropping as the plugs heat up. Its possible, if the plugs are bad, the voltage may never drop... see my other post for help.

Dieselsmoke

This is part of the problem why the glow plug relays never seem to last. I've always replaced the relays with a 24volt unit and never had another problem with them again on dozens of CUCVs. There was a MWO on this, I had a cases of the relays but only have like 2 left now and keeping those.

mangus580

I am about 90% sure the voltage will only drop with a load, with mostly bad GP's, it may not have been dropping.... I suggested he bypass the resistors until we could determine better.

MuddWeiser

CHANGED ALL 8 GlowPlugs with AC Delco 60g's - rewired my glowplug solenoid so its 12v supply comes from front battery lug - now all is well.

CUCV is running good now. Motor is anyway. I got a new problem with the tranny - it winds out to 25-35mph in FIRST GEAR and then 47mph in 2nd gear!

PICTURES ARE AVAILABLE HERE FOR ALL STEELSOLDIER MEMBERS TO SEE!

ftp://steelsoldier:cucv@72.47.20.138

gasser

I think the trans vacuum unit that is mounted to the left of the IP will most likely needs to be adjusted. With that being said, make sure your vacuum hoses are good ... ones that run from the vacuum modulator on the trans and from the vacuum pump on the backside of the block (on a gas small block, that is where the distributor would be).

Hope this helps,

-graham

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks