• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV II, Should I?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK gang, way back in the 90s GM produced a CUCV II. Never really seen any of them in service but they did exist. Now heres the big question. I've got a 1994 K3500 crew cab dually. Its getting worn and not quite what it used to be. Has bad paint and both dually flares are damaged (not by me). I'm considering painting it up like the CUCV II. Anyone think I've lost it? Rather do an 80s Suburban or crewcab but I already have this truck. Heres an idea of what they looked like.

Attachments

dilvoy

I say go for it. The one in the foto has the square holes in the bumper for extra cooling. I've only noticed these on 4x4 duallys. An Air National Guard unit in Hayward, Ca. used to have quite a few CUCV Chevys which were built off of the body style that came just after this truck. They had neat bumpers a very dark Green paint color and came in all variaties. Standare cab, crew cab and even dually's. I guess they are all in Iraq by now.

N1265

I would not see a problem with it. If it needs paint then paint it...... Who cares if you cammo it like a
cucv II.

I thought the canadian army had quite a few of these trucks ? But I could be wrong though.

Armada

I say go for it. The one in the foto has the square holes in the bumper for extra cooling. I've only noticed these on 4x4 duallys. An Air National Guard unit in Hayward, Ca. used to have quite a few CUCV Chevys which were built off of the body style that came just after this truck. They had neat bumpers a very dark Green paint color and came in all variaties.
I believe all GM diesel pick-ups had the openings in the bumper, not just the duallys.
Selfridge AFB has a couple of the '3rd generation' cucv's running around too. They look sweet.
Sounds like a good project Kenny. It would also look more at home with your motorpool.

mangus580

YES, YES, YES!!

an All diesels in that body had the Isumper holes. Or at least type 6.5 Turbo's, not Sure about the early ones with 6.2

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bumper holes are fresh air intake holes for the turbo. A plastic tube goes all the way around to the pass fender and up to the air filter box.
Kenny, go for it! if you don't you'll always wish you did.

CDN CUCVs

Kenny,

To be like the Canadians, and like the USAF, you don't need to cammo. These pics are of CDN truck taken at Camp Grayling Last year. I have pics in my file (but not on computer) of AF truck with same basic color. A lot are crew cabs, but I've always wanted a crew-cab dually surplus truck myself. Be great for a hauler.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a surplus steel topper on it right now. I'm thinking of getting it ready for paint and heading up to RDMs place and get him to apply some waterbourne CARC 383 green. It will most likely stay green. I need to get rid of he Alcoa wheels and get me some steel ones. Of course the inside of the topper will have to be Seafoam Green. Here's a poor pic of what it looks like now.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumpers will have to go. Either stock steel ones or might even sandblast what I have. Front one has a dent so it will need replaced anyway. I have to figure out how to do lift shackles and the like.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ken,

Many people in the hot rod crowd "clone" vehicles. I don't think anyone would slam you for doing the same for a MV as long as you didn't try to misrepresent is as an "original" and sell it as such. I think what you do is only limited by your imagination and wallet.
My advice (for what it's worth): Go for what you know and have fun. 8)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I'm going to go forward with this in the future. Would really love to do an 80's suburban but I already own this truck. Doubt that it would get camo but 383 green it would get. Suppose I should line it up in the paint line behind the wrecker, semi trailer and M103A3 for paint. The M715 will go in a very distant 4th as it needs mega body work before paint.