• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV in Alaska

snowtrac nome

this would be my suggestion for a front locker (and / or rear)

cable driven so it doesn't rely on air compressor or electrical signal (they do offer air / electric options too). Open diff for driving on the street but fully locked if needed. Also has an add-on screw in plug thing to force it to lock if you somehow break the cable.
t
Okay! An AR in .458! That is seriously demented!

I like it! (y)
my rifle of choice is a marlin 1895 that has been modified to 50 Alaskan, big medicine for big critters.

Russm

That freeze plug/expansion plug hole is the center one on the drivers side. Just brave it and go up there and punch it out. The warmer the coolant the more dangerous it gets. I recommend doing it with a cold engine. Really no other way to drain the block. I use the coolant one because I think it works best. No need to warm batteries with the coolant warm the glow light only stays on briefly in the coldest days of winter. I plug it in even in an unheated garage. World of difference. I had a customer tell me his was plugged in 24 / 7 and it still started hard. I went under and looked and it was not plugged into the block element. Lot of good that was doing. Be Safe and Stay Warm.

Did you just let the plug dangle in the grill? Or set up a clean looking plug somewhere?

Also, anyone have a particular brand or type of antifreeze they use? Walmart has a -50* rated one but it has bad reviews.

Last edited:

Russm

You might want to look into a more modern fuel burning heater. The old stewart warners are tempermental , and thirsty. before you go to that expence try a good 205 degree thermostat you might be surprised how much free heat you can get. a swing fire heater set up is a good thing to have if you are parked some place all day with no source of electricity.
Now that I'm actually in Alaska... Do you have a source for the 205 t-stat? Having trouble finding one.

For the rest of it, I ended up adding the 1000w block heater, 80w battery warmer x2, battery charger, 40w fuel filter heater. Found some 24bolt humvee rims with the matching load range e tires (tread pattern looks really good for snow) ditched the runflats for the pvc inserts. The winter front from jatonka is going on soon, about to get cold here. I'm sure lmc or wherever has some sort of inside the hood liner or something like modern cars have inside their hood, might help with heat retention a little.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks