• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV pintle hitch

citizensoldier

Anybody have one they would sell me? I just recieved my M1009 and it is missing.. How can you be a trailer ho without a way to pull a trailer??? :D I see they are different than the old style.. They have a big bolt along with the four small outer bolts..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW many units removed these to keep folks from pulling trailers. A 4 bolt combo hitch will bolt right on and net you a ball too. Dman did that with Morgans so he could pull the car trailer. Not milspec but mighty useful.

citizensoldier

Do you think the inner big bolt/nut/swivel combo is needed? I did bolt a solid old style on for a temp but its not realy a equilizer type hitch.. Just a re-enforced bumper.. I might put some extra gussets to the frame.. I do like the swivel option on the original so thats one reason for looking. I also do allot of off road work with a loaded trailer behind me and I think it will bind if I dont have that. I do like the ball/pintle combo too...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The off road may require the pivot. You get some pivot from the combo hitch but not like the swivel pinlte. The gov't only rated these things to tow 1200#. Thats not much more than an M416 with a load. Your call! Check with Starlight or Devilman96 about a pintle, Both have removed them from trucks but I don't know if they are for sale. I have one but have plans for it.

Somemedic

I dont have a pintle on my bumper. I started to put one on and remember reading about CUCVs pulling trailers w/ the pintle on the bumper (G503 or Mil Veh magazine?) and having bolts or bumpers shear. The bumper aint much for towing a loaded trailer. Do yourself a fav and get a used hitch reciever off ebay (mine was 20.00 which was as much for the shipping). Mount it properly and tow like a fool. TSC will sell ya a pintle hook that plugs into the receiver. Structurely I believe this is a stronger, safer way to tow.

PS You can also get one of those cool baskets that plugs into the rec for when you need more room in your truck but not as much as a trailer :mrgreen:

citizensoldier

I will probably re-enforce the whole thing like a equilizer hitch and call it good. I think the tow load is rated low because of the 308 gears.. I pulled some hellatiouse loads with some of my K5 blazers over the years and they did fine. All had 3:73 with 33" tires and 4 inch lift.. We used to haul wood with one and a 1 ton Ben hur trailer loaded as high as it would go.. Never broke anything.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: CUCV pintle hitch

Recovry4x4 said:
The off road may require the pivot. You get some pivot from the combo hitch but not like the swivel pinlte. The gov't only rated these things to tow 1200#. Thats not much more than an M416 with a load. Your call! Check with Starlight or Devilman96 about a pintle, Both have removed them from trucks but I don't know if they are for sale. I have one but have plans for it.
Kenny is that 1200# pound spec for all CUCV's or just the 1009?

Lane, I have a parts 1008 that has a pintle.

Ed

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: CUCV pintle hitch

Part of it is the rating of the axel, gear difference, the suspension difference and the bumper is also lighter. M1009's have a 1/2 to 3/4 ton axles, where the M1008's have 1 to 1 1/4 ton axles. The M 1009 has a 1 inch square tube reinforcement isn't as heavy as the plate they use on the M1008. Neither of these are comparable to a class III hitch. If you really plan on towing put an actual class III or higher rated hitch. The pintle hitches themselves are much higher in there ratings than the trucks. It is all what they are attached too.

LanceRobson

RE: Re: RE: CUCV pintle hitch

The -10 manual states that the M1008 is capable of towing the M101 trailer at 3000#. It doesn't state whether that's the max the truck can tow, or if that's due to the weight of the M101 with 3/4 ton in it, or whether the limit is due to the M101 not having service brakes.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV pintle hitch

citizensoldier said:
Shoot me PM and a price.. The M1008 is rated for much more.. I think it has the same hitch too so it must be because of the gears and short wheel base of the M1009..
Lane,

Shipping plus however much of a PITA it is for me to get it off the truck ;) ......lol

I'll let you know. I'm a little busy prepping another M35 I sold, so I won't be able to get to it till this weekend.
Also, I've got a 1009 in the other shop. I'll compare the 2 pintle setups.

Ed

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV pintle hitch

These trucks can tow alot more than what the -10 states, BUT the -10 is the rating on the bumper with the pintle attached to it. The M1009 pintle rating mounted to the bumper is 1200lbs, with a tongue weight of 120lbs. If you put a class III hitch on the vehicle you will be able to tow 5000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue weight. The M1008 has a weight rating for 3000 lbs and 300 lbs tongue weighting, where if you get a class IV/V hitch. You can tow 8,000 to 10,000 lbs with 800 to 1000 lbs tongue weight. To tow the heavy up towards the upper range trailer brakes should really be used. These trucks have a 10,000 lb brake system. I know that is what the M1009 has.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV pintle hitch

JohnFire said:
These trucks have a 10,000 lb brake system. I know that is what the M1009 has.
The M1028/A1/A2/A3, M1031, and M1010 have the 10K brake system. The M1009's is a 7K system.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV pintle hitch

CUCVFAN said:
JohnFire said:
These trucks have a 10,000 lb brake system. I know that is what the M1009 has.
The M1028/A1/A2/A3, M1031, and M1010 have the 10K brake system. The M1009's is a 7K system.

I guess my 30 series 4x4 has better brakes than the military then.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks