• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Radiator Replacement

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, got the radiator today, which was really a quick ship, since I ordered it Tuesday. She looks good and was packed well. All aluminum, including the tanks and has proper bungs for everything. All sizes seem correct for my fittings on the truck. Install will tell if everything goes together correctly.

View attachment 869602View attachment 869603View attachment 869604View attachment 869605View attachment 869606View attachment 869607View attachment 869608View attachment 869609View attachment 869610View attachment 869611
For all intense purposes, it appears to be the only radiator available on the market right now for your application. If you need a radiator then it's an easy decision. It looks good, the price is really good, if it gets you back on the road, then you scored. I bought a cu850 from Auto Zone with a lifetime warranty. If I have an issue, how will they honor it. At least you found a back up plan. Hope it's a winner for you and helpful to others looking for a replacement during these tough times.

ssdvc

I couldn't find a stock 850 radiator anywhere (except at Rick's place, and that one is locked in a vault, surrounded by armed guards with laser weapons). And some of the prices for them were crazy (like $1500 - $1800 if they were available). Even recoring of the existing unit, if that service is available in your area, are up around $800.

This is the radiator I purchased - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2249683485...s=Year:1984|Model:K30|Make:Chevrolet#shpCntId

I haven't installed it yet, but she looks good and, baring any weld issues, she looks like she will function well and last longer than the truck she is getting installed in.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldn't find a stock 850 radiator anywhere (except at Rick's place, and that one is locked in a vault, surrounded by armed guards with laser weapons). And some of the prices for them were crazy (like $1500 - $1800 if they were available). Even recoring of the existing unit, if that service is available in your area, are up around $800.

This is the radiator I purchased - https://www.ebay.com/itm/224968348587?hash=item34612893ab:g:DyYAAOSwvpNif5zw&fits=Year:1984|Model:K30|Make:Chevrolet#shpCntId

I haven't installed it yet, but she looks good and, baring any weld issues, she looks like she will function well and last longer than the truck she is getting installed in.
Hey ssdvc,

Did you install that radiator yet? How did it fit? - Disregard this question, I found your "new" thread on the radiator install...

I bought a 1986 M1009 that is missing the radiator (stolen) and on the search for a replacement.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Hey ssdvc,

Did you install that radiator yet? How did it fit? - Disregard this question, I found your "new" thread on the radiator install...

I bought a 1986 M1009 that is missing the radiator (stolen) and on the search for a replacement.
I sent you a text early this AM. I will check out the list of parts you need. The transmission cooler lines can be repaired. If they cut them at the radiator I would cut them back a few inches and use a double flair connection splice, new line and new flare nuts to attach to the radiator. I am out of transmission cooler lines. I did a lot of replacement of them because I bought CUCV's that had rubber hose spliced in the middle and a few with rubber hose front to back with barbed connections in the transmission and radiator. Really? But I will look over the weekend. PM an up to date list of needs. Thank you.

ssdvc

Mikey,

I had the aluminum radiator ready to go, all adapters/mods done and I managed to strip out the bottom oil cooler bung. I boxed her up and put the unit up for now. I will, after I have my truck completely sorted, get the aluminum radiator repaired (helicoil the bung) and either sell it or keep it as a spare.

That said, NAPA had a new one (for $1800) located in New Jersey, but no one else could find one. The rebuild was $950, with brass and copper, and I am VERY happy with that, given the alternatives. You maybe able to find a used core in a junkyard and get it rebuilt.

Winston Wolf

I just picked up a new B850 at Autozone. With a coupon it was around $440. To my surprise it is 100% aluminum. Made in China. All fittings are in the correct locations and sizes.

87cr250r

The brass aftermarket radiators were junk. I'll bet the aluminum is better. I am currently running the aluminum with plastic tanks after my first aftermarket brass unit died only a few years old.

Aluminum heater cores are another problem. Cavitation wore through one opposite the inlet hose pipe. Second one seems to be holding up. Run the highest pressure radiator cap you can I guess.

cucvrus

Any radiator that cools the engine, fits and don't leak is a cool radiator in my world. I don't care if it is made in Katmandu. If it is and I need it Katmandu is the one I do. Take care stay cool. and when changing radiators always take a close look at the isolator mounts. If the radiator is loose and flopping around in the mounts, it will not last even if it is a Harrison OEM GM radiator. I still have a few CUCV vehicles that have the OEM radiators in them. However, I had them out and at a competent radiator shop and spent money on them to assure they will do the long haul. Many people fail to realize that do it yourself advise and method is not always the best route. Money and competent repairs go hand in hand and pass the test of time. Stop leak is a fool's remedy and always leads to the same end. It's a Simple Task.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any radiator that cools the engine, fits and don't leak is a cool radiator in my world. I don't care if it is made in Katmandu. If it is and I need it Katmandu is the one I do. Take care stay cool. and when changing radiators always take a close look at the isolator mounts. If the radiator is loose and flopping around in the mounts, it will not last even if it is a Harrison OEM GM radiator. I still have a few CUCV vehicles that have the OEM radiators in them. However, I had them out and at a competent radiator shop and spent money on them to assure they will do the long haul. Many people fail to realize that do it yourself advise and method is not always the best route. Money and competent repairs go hand in hand and pass the test of time. Stop leak is a fool's remedy and always leads to the same end. It's a Simple Task.
One left https://a.co/d/clKDWqt

Ggping

Anyone have experience with this radiator?

Reproduction Aluminum Radiator for 1982-1986 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks w/6.2L Detroit Diesel Engine

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have experience with this radiator?

Reproduction Aluminum Radiator for 1982-1986 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks w/6.2L Detroit Diesel Engine
Do you have a link to the website selling it? Or is this the one your referring to?

JEGS 555-511457: Reproduction Aluminum Radiator | 1982-1986 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks w/6.2L Detroit Diesel Engine | Direct Fitment | Improved Cooling Efficiency | 2-Row 1 1/8 in. Wide High Flow Tubes | Aluminum Construction | Semi-Polished Finish - JEGS

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not use that one in particular, but the one I found (which I believe is linked earlier in this thread) did not match up with the oil and transmission cooler lines so I had to get new connectors for the hoses to match what was on the radiator. You may run into that problem with any designed for the civilian side of the market.

cucvrus

You may run into that problem with any designed for the civilian side of the market.

CUCV's are the exact same components as a civilian truck. The cooling system is no different. It should fit the application it lists. Make sure to pressure test the cooling system and make sure the head gaskets and all other seals are intact. Good Luck. Other than a modified 12/24 electrical system and a few bolt on parts a CUCV is the same as its civilian counterpart all built on 1983-84 blueprints. Good Luck I hope it keeps you cool and Be Safe.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a aluminum and plastic radiator in my M1008. I have driven the truck (towing a trailer) across the US two and half times. Most of it in 90+ temps.
So far no issues with it. No clue where I purchased it from, possibly Auto Zone.

Ggping

I have looked at auto zone but unfortunately nothing is available. I have only been able to find jegs reproduction ones. Also just found that jegs has brass and copper ones also

Attachments

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it is out of stock so doesn't help you that much but I purchased this radiator. But a 2-core version is available. Other than "shimming" the bottom with an aluminum C channel as the overall height of the radiator was ~3/4" shorter it was a direct fit, oil and trans fluid cooler lines as well. It works great at keeping engine temps in check.

My original brass radiator is in great condition with no leaks and I'm considering selling it if you're interested. But Wisconsin is pretty far from PA and shipping something this rare/delicate may not be the best choice.

Attachments

Ggping

Looks like it is out of stock so doesn't help you that much but I purchased this radiator. But a 2-core version is available. Other than "shimming" the bottom with an aluminum C channel as the overall height of the radiator was ~3/4" shorter it was a direct fit, oil and trans fluid cooler lines as well. It works great at keeping engine temps in check.

My original brass radiator is in great condition with no leaks and I'm considering selling it if you're interested. But Wisconsin is pretty far from PA and shipping something this rare/delicate may not be the best choice.
Can you direct message me? I would be interested

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks