• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Replacement Accelerator Cable

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All... I had to replace the accelerator cable on my M1008 today. I had to do the same thing several years ago on my M1009. I bought the replacement cable from O'Reilly Auto (Part # CA-8503 $23.39) and installed it, sort of... Rather than install the cable completely, I connected it to the Fuel Injector Pump and then seated it in the housing above the Fuel Injector Pump. I then started the truck and it immediately ran on a VERY HIGH idle. This same thing occurred when I replaced the accelerator cable on the M1009. Because of the way these cables are made, they are technically NOT adjustable. I guess that one is supposed to adjust the idle at the Fuel Injector Pump, but I have no idea how this is to be done. Ultimately, I had to "take apart" the new accelerator cable, remove about one inch of the steel cable sleeve and then reassemble the cable. Additionally, the eyelet hole on the end of the cable that connects to the Fuel Injector Pump was too small to fit over the accelerator post on the fuel injector. To fix this problem, I removed the cable from the truck and used a file to enlarge the hole until it would slide over the fuel injector accelerator post.

If anyone knows a better way to accomplish an accelerator cable swap, please tell me how to do this magic. It seems to me that the best way to adjust the cable would be to create or invent an adjustable cable support bracket located just forward and above the Fuel Injector Pump. If this component was adjustable, it would make it easy to increase or decrease the distance between the cable support bracket and the fuel injector accelerator post.

Thoughts anyone????

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter

https://www.motormayhem.net/2015/03...ottle-cable-fitment-problems-on-6-2l-diesels/
Thank you so much for your reply to my post. I followed the link and got an EXTENSIVE EDUCATION. I will look into the part number identified in the link to see if I can locate one as a spare. I still think an adjustable cable bracket above the fuel injector pump would be the best "fix" so that almost any replacement cable could be used, adjusting the length problem by raising or lowering the top of the bracket, getting it closer or further away from the injector pump. I have an old 6.2 sitting in my garage. I will try to invent an adjustable bracket. If I am successful, I will let you all know...

Thoughts Anyone????

87cr250r

My cable broke back in 2012 or so. The truck was my daily driver so I needed a cable ASAP. Napa had one and it worked fine. I don't know if this has changed.

I actually drove the truck to NAPA. I did a Molly Hogan to make two eyes to join the broken cable. I removed the plastic guide that attaches the cable to the pump bracket. It rendered over the edges fine.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent the email below to the folks at Pioneer Automotive explaining the problems with their cable (CA-8603) and what I did to fix the problems to make the cable work on my truck. I did not receive a response and probably won't, but if I do, I will let you all know...

Leo Lennemann <rmesgt@gmail.com>
Mon, May 1, 9:58 PM (6 days ago)

CUCV = Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle. (1984, 1985, and 1986 model years)

I own two old military vehicles. One is the M1008 CUCV Pick Up Truck (D30) and the other is the M1009 CUCV Blazer (K5). These vehicles were manufactured by the Chevrolet corporation for interim use by the US Army. While my trucks are technically 1985 model years, all of the military CUCV trucks were built to 1984 specifications, allowing the US Army to avoid problems with Make/Model differences. All CUCV trucks came equipped with Chevrolet 6.2 diesel engines.

After 30 years of use, many of the parts on my vehicles are beginning to wear out. Several months ago, the accelerator cable on my M1009 CUCV Blazer failed. I ordered a replacement cable from O’Reilly Automotive and received the cable that you manufacturer, part number CA-8503. When I installed the replacement cable on the Blazer, I ran into several problems. A few months later, I encountered the same problem with my M1008 CUCV Pick Up Truck. Again, I encountered the same problems that I had with my M1009. I have listed these problems below and have tried to my best to explain each problem and what I did to remedy the problems that I encountered. I have no idea what the technical terms or names are for each component on your accelerator cable, so I made up my own labels. I have attached the image I created showing the names/labels I assigned to your cable. Additionally, I attached an image showing where (and how) I modified your cable to fit my trucks.

I hope this all makes sense. If you need additional clarification, please call me at 918-801-6822. My name is Leo Lennemann and I can probably discuss it with more clarity than I can write it. I would imagine that if you were to redesign the cable to fit military CUCV vehicles, you could have a part number such as CA-8503-CUCV. If you do decide to make/modify part # CA-8503, I would be happy to test the cable on your behalf. Additionally, we would have to post the modified part information to the Steel Soldiers forum as many of us who own CUCV vehicles belong to and visit this forum for information on our trucks.

Problems Encountered:

Fuel Pump Post Eyelet: This eyelet is approximately 1 millimeter too small to completely fit the fuel pump accelerator post. It will initially fit over the end of the post where the post retainer clip is placed, but it will not go onto the post far enough to reapply the retainer clip. To remedy this problem, I used a round file to slightly enlarge the “Injector Pump Post Eyelet” hole. This modification allowed the eyelet to completely slide over the injector pump post, allowing enough room to reinstall the retainer clip.

Firewall Connector - Problem 1: While the part properly fits through the firewall, it is impossible to push it in far enough for the upper and lower retainer clips molded onto the connector to expand to hold the device into (onto?) the fire wall. While my brother pushed the “Firewall Connector” against the firewall from the engine side, I was on the inside with a tiny screwdriver trying to pry the retainer clips open enough to ensure the “Firewall Connector” stays in place.

Firewall Connector - Problem 2: After I had the “Injector Pump Post Eyelet” on the injector pump AND it was properly seated onto the engine bracket mount, I started the engine. The engine raced at a very HIGH RPM, way above idle. After pausing to study the problem, I realized that the “Fuel Injector Pump Post” was being held way above the idle position. To fix the problem, I had to separate the vinyl covered steel cable sleeve from the firewall connector. Once separated, I removed approximately 25 millimeters of the vinyl cover, the steel cable sleeve and the plastic cable liner just underneath the steel sleeve. This repair shortened the steel sleeve, providing the cable more room to travel. Once the cable had more room to travel, it allowed the “Injector Pump Post” to return to the idle position.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks