• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV won't shut off? + other issues...

pl1338

Hi, new member here. I have a 84 M1008 truck that I bought earlier this year. It has run like a champ the little bit I've actually driven it, I took it for a spin the other day and the ignition took a good bit of messing with to get the thing to shut off! Well, I shut er down and went to bed, the next day, batteries are dead? Won't start! I get those charged, and start it up... This time it would not shut down, as a last ditch effort I found a fuse under the dash marked Engine control or something similar, when I pulled it, the engine immediately shut down. Hopefully, I didn't cause any damage to anything. I did have both alternators tested at an electric motor shop, he said both were perfect, so why would those batteries have drained out? (And no, I did not leave the lights on, just in case you were thinking it) It has sat for a couple months and had no problem starting up after that, but over night after a half hour of driving with the lights on, it's dead the next day? I have been getting the GEN1 light flickering under idle, but not really under load.

Anyhow, I am going to pull the steering wheel and see if the ignition switch is gonna be a half easy job or a total nightmare. So, my question is this, Has anyone ever changed out a ignition switch, and is it super difficult? Also, the dead batteries, any ideas on those? The truck has run great since I brought it home... Any help is appreciated.

ralbelt

Welcome! Search out the thread "steering column dissasembly and gen 2 problems" it should give you some good info.

Also down load the TM's. They are free at the top of the page under resources.

Barrman

There is a pink wire at the top of the injection pump. Pull it off the IP and with your batteries charged and the key off, see if it has voltage. If it does, then your ignition switch on top of the steering column is either way out of alignment or broken. Either way, for a part that cost $12 and the effort needed to get to it, just buy a new one and install it.

If you have no voltage at the pink wire with the key off and batteries charged, then more than likely your IP shut off solenoid is bad. Very easy to swap out with 3 screws holding it on. That wouldn't explain your drained batteries though.

pl1338

OK, I'll try those things and check out those manuals in here. Thanks guys, I have 3 little kids and the truck is a hobby piece, so, I don't get a lot of tinker time, I hope to get this baby up and running so I can show it off! I love the truck and plan on doing a complete over haul at some point, but that is most likely at least 5 + years away. In the mean time, I want to tinker and play...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks