• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins cold start aid

shootiniron

Having just got an M813A1 I'm hoping someone can give me a brief explanation on how the cold start aid works.Also where can I get a replacement spark plug for it.I've used it as per the instructions on the data plate and it does'nt seem to help.It will hold the recommended pressure before engageing the starter and while starting but does'nt seem to help.I wind up giving it a small whiff of ether,then it jumps to life.

Thanks!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all is working well turn on control box and pump primer to at least 80 lb. Keep pumping for 30 seconds or longer till you hear the puff. That is the single to try and start.
Ps I do not like to use ether. If at all possible heat air around air filter intake.

shootiniron

I myself am a heavy equipment operator and have been for nearly thirty years and I completely agree with the use and misuse of ether.I've seen some engines quite literaly become ether addicts.Good or bad I would like to see this cold start aid thats on this truck work as it should,if still inadaquate then ether or the block heater.

Earth

The "glo plug" is a champion that you can get from NAPA. It's 12v wired right to a battery. I replaced the ones in my 2 5 tons. Functioning correctly, the cold start system only works okay, not great, for cold starts. I prefer the block heater. I used NAPA #605-3139-- about $85. Plug it in a nd after a few hours the truck starts like summer. You have to drain off about 7 or 8 gallons of coolant to install the block heater, but it is very simple, and as long as you can plug it in, you'll have a happy, warm block that wants to start.

I believe the reference to the "puff' is the igniting of the fuel in the intake manifold. The hand pump blows some fuel over the hot plug and warms up the air heading towards combustion. So it's a starting aid and not really a glo plug. As I said, I'm not that impressed at the system's ability to start the truck in the cold.

cbvet

My M813A1 has a block heater. On the rare occasion that I know a day ahead that I'll need it, I plug it in. Starts right up, down to 20 degrees. If colder, I use a shot of ether in the air cleaner.

With no advance warning, I just use a little ether. Very little required.

I don't know whether the glow plug works. All I know is that it doesn't help.

As mentioned in another thread, I've used ether since 1962 with no KNOWN problems.

Lax

I am very interested in this subject. I had a heater kit installed on my M35 a few years ago and not one time has it ever helped getting the truck started. I just assumed I was doing something wrong or it does not work. Sometimes if the wind is not blowing too hard so it is quiet I can hear something happening before I crank it but it NEVER starts without someone cranking it for me and me spraying either. I thought the directions say to use the heater while cranking and only for under 10 seconds. How should I use it???? I could use a block heater but that onlly works when I have half a day's notice and I am near power. Does not work to well in the woods.. Thanks for any suggestions.

shootiniron

I've got probably the same set up on my deuce and it works well. You should first check to see if you have fuel at the nozzel,if so then check to see if you spark at the spark plug.You can do this by removeing it and then grounding it against the manifold while someone else activates the system.If no spark then its usually the coil thats gone bad.If no fuel then its probably the pump thats just ahead of the coil thats gone south.HTH!

cbvet

Remember guys, the Deuce cold start systems are NOTHING like the Cummins system.
The Cummins in the M813A1 uses a manual pump & a glow plug instead of an electric pump & a spark ignitor.

Lax

Great advise Shootiniron. I check both out ths weekend. I would LOVE to have the system work. It is not uncommon to have zero or below days and it would be great to know I can get her going 24x7. That's what I bought her for... Thank you.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have tested the system and found it is working you can also count the seconds and crank the engine just before the system fires. Better use of all the heat.

cundupa

I just bought 13 ether injection kits new in the box for the M35 trucks Im going to set one up on my 816 wrecker Im going to put the injector in the hole the spark plug threads into.I have been operating heavy eguipment and driving heavy trucks for over 35 years and useing ether to start them used in moderation I believe it does no harm. I have however seen some who cant seem to use it the right way blowing headgaskets and locking the engine up.That is why only a few of us are allowed to use it at the company I work at to help the others get their equipment started.A lot of our field equipment has 903 cummins engines and need a whiff of ether to start or you can crank them until the batteries go down and thats it.
What equipment do you have that still runs 903 cummins?

CMSGT

I had difficulties starting my Cummins too but installed a block heater (Cummins P/N 3310858) and she starts right up now. After sitting for 2-3 weeks in single digit/teen temps I plugged her in, let her warm up for a day and she started within 5 seconds of cranking. This was so much better than cranking, pumping and finally resorting to ether. I also installed 2 Centennial C8DH batteries in place of the originals, they are rated at 1400 CCA so they are close to the original yet cost allot less.

Lax

So how long should I run the fuel heater before I crank the engine over on my Duce? I know it is different then the 5 tons but... The directions say to apply the heater AND crank at the same time. That never works for me. :evil: I would really like to be able to start it without the ether. Any suggestions other then move to Florida.

Last edited:

kc5mzd

The Cummins I have all I do is turn just the glow plug on for at least 30 seconds. Then turn on the main power. THEN pump the hand fuel primer till it gets to around 60 - 80. Then crank it while pumping one last pump. It starts every time.

The Multifuel in the Deuce has a separate fuel pump and filter make sure the filter is not clogged and the pump turns on when you hit the switch.

On the Cummins when the engine is cold you need to turn on the glow plug, wait 30 seconds and climb under the hood and see if the glow plug it getting warm. If not first check the wires. Make sure it is wired to the + on the battery that is wired to ground. If it is on the second battery that is wired to the main + then your glow plug is fried and you will need to move the glow plug + wire to the first battery before you replace the glow plug or you will burn out the new plug very fast.

shootiniron

DONT use the heater on your deuce without cranking the engine at the same time.What happens is that when you activate the cold start assist switch fuel is sprayed into the manifold onto a spark plug.You can guess what the end result is.So use it as per the directions and if the system is working correctly it will greatly assist in your cold starts.Also once you've got it to run you can continue to activate the system to smooth out the engine,ie. get all six cyliders firing so to speak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks