• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins Engine Prices

M1075

Can anyone give me some ideas on engine prices? I need one for a M809 series project. What does a 250 sell for new/rebuilt/used? How much for a 400? I know a few mods would be needed, but a little more power couldn't help!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, you have probably already thought about this, but I recommend that you buy a complete truck and just take the motor out of it. If you got a truck that was cosmetically unattractive, you'd probably get it cheaply. Every once in a while you'll find a terrible looking truck with a new motor.

halftrack

I would have to agree with Bruce on this one. I bought a junk M818 for parts and it ended up having a real nice motor in it. Got the whole thing at the time for $500 bucks. The truck that I spent thousands on ended up have a bad motor in that I thought was good.

acetomatoco

There is a rebuild program on for the 800 and early 900 series trucks and the cores of the 855 (NHC 250) are bringing $1000 with a can....

beaubeau

Hey M1075, I would look around for another type of engine,unless U want it Stock! U should be able to put just about any DIESEL ENGINE. A good running 290 or 300 Cummins is not hard to find and inexpencive! It should drop right in without too much hassle!@50 Cummins is about tne worst engine Cummins produced! Good luck, Phil

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So what does a rebuild cost? Didn't C-dub redo the Cummins in his 900-series cargo truck?

jwaller

I have a NHC250 in my 818 thats for sale. make me a good offer and it's yours. I only need to keep the acc off the front of the motor, starter, and intake.

jwaller

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
What are the weak points on the 250 Cummins besides lack of piston cooling spray?
to me the only weak point is the 250 part of it. as long as you can deal with that it will last you forever. it cant be made into much over 250 bc of the lack of piston oilers, squirters or sprayers, whatever you want to call them.

yes the 250 part really suffers when it comes to any kind of hill with a load. i have a 335 sitting here that has been majored. need to get jakes on it and put it in the M819. i bet the 250 would run 150 - 200 k without trouble when used and maintained properly. cold starts and load before warming up, lugging which is impossible to avoid between 3rd and 4th and over revving are probably the worst things. I am not a tech tho. Will can tell you all you need to know.

martinsaunders06

?are the cyl heads on a mid 70,s 250 cummins interchangeable?coz my 250 is dated nov 84 and they are not so=the casting shapes are different,also it appears to have the later 3 hole coolant outlet in block and after reading the previous post web link this seems to point to my block having the oil coolers for pistons?does anyone know if this is correct for a small cam 84 250?

m139h2otruck

Surplus engine supply house in Ohio shows 250s used for $1,350 in the latest Rock and Dirt. Also check Sam Winer Motors.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
acetomatoco said:
There is a rebuild program on for the 800 and early 900 series trucks and the cores of the 855 (NHC 250) are bringing $1000 with a can....
I've got a old 250 Cummins I've had out in the barn for years that I'd love to get $1,000 out of. It has had a turbo added ( of unknown condition) also that I'd let go seperate if someone wants to turbo their 5-ton.

martinsaunders06

i emailed cummins technical here in uk and asked if they could say if my 1984nhc250 eng number 11238813 had oil cooler nozzles for piston skirts fitted= they replied 250 of that date has?.perhaps earlier ones didnt or perhaps they got it wrong. Is taking the sump off the only the only way to check? . i know you guys have alot of cummins experience but has anyone ever had this subject confirmed either way from cummins USA.. Its difficult to believe a engine so badly regarded could be in 800 series production for so long without being modified or changed(tho my 816 wont pull your hat off). martin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks