• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins smoke Q

M215

Hello SS,
Today was the first use of the recently acquired M813 as my tow vehicle for the dozer, noticed something different, lots of white smoke out the exhaust. This has never done before until this morning when put under a load. My first thought was leaking head gasket, checked the oil and coolant, no contamination. Oil and coolant where changed out this past weekend before this first haul.

Started the truck up this afternoon, ran the engine up to temp. and no smoke!

This past weekend as part of the fluid / filter change the fuel filter was also change. I was unable to properly bleed the air from the fuel system per the TM because of a defective hand primer pump. I know there is still air in the system, on first start up it is difficult to hold an idle.

Air temp this morning was approx 40-45 degrees when the smoke happened.

So what are your thoughts, air in the fuel system, leaking head gasket or a block crack?

Thanks, Karl

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the rought idle would be the air in the system but the white smoke i think is the coolness outside. how did it pull the dozer on hills?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st, it's COLD there. If it wasn't up to temp...180, it will smoke. Pumps can't be advanced on a PT system. It is wet linered, so a cracked block is out. Head gaskets leaking would give a noticable "chirp" under a load, the compression is sealed by a 1/32 ridge on the liner. Small cams will leak coolant from the head gaskets externally, usually not into the cylinder. If you have a cut o-ring on the primer, that will do it. A loose overhead will do that too.

spicergear

My CAT always smokes when I first start it...ESPECIALLY if it's cold out then it will 'hunt' for a couple mins and gradually settle down when it warms up a little. Sounds pretty meant when it hunts! :)

M215

Cummins smoke

SS thanks for the input!

I really was hoping it wasn't a head gasket. This was the only time it smoked like this, engine was up to operating temp. before starting out. Smoked the entire trip approx 20 miles.

Now the question is how do I check or advance the IP or which TM covers it? Is this different than turning up the fuel? I have not made any adjustments yet so every thing should still be at military settings.

Also noticed a knocking noise when putting the truck under a load. Not a rod / bearring thump but a knock like a gas engine with improper timing advance

timntrucks
Posted: Nov 01, 2007 - 02:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the rought idle would be the air in the system but the white smoke i think is the coolness outside. how did it pull the dozer on hills?
timntrucks,
The M813 was a big improvement over the M35A2, a much better feeling in the seat. Very little differance in the ride towing the trailer, almost did not know it was there, very little sway and breaks were great. Needs more top end power, rolling hills brought the truck to its knees at 25 mph / 3rd gear. Still got a bounce around 35-40 mph, I'll try moving the weight around on the trailer to see what effect that may have. The combined weight of the track loader (Case 455B) and trailer (Eager Beaver three axle) is approx. 25,000 lbs.

jwaller

RE: Cummins smoke

you can check all my recent topics about how under powered the cummins is and what all I have done to get more out of it. basically your stuck with it. I have added a pyro and checked the egt and it's where it should be. Can't go higher and cant advance the pump or timing. only option appears to be the cam swap.

Re: RE: Cummins smoke

jwaller said:
you can check all my recent topics about how under powered the cummins is and what all I have done to get more out of it. basically your stuck with it. I have added a pyro and checked the egt and it's where it should be. Can't go higher and cant advance the pump or timing. only option appears to be the cam swap.
Cam Swap ?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Cummins smoke

Swapping a cam won't any good. It's not like a gasser. The only way to make more power is with fuel and add a turbo.
M215, sounds like you might have an injector out of it. Start it cold and feel the exhaust manifold at each cylinder. The one that warms up slow or not at all is the failed one.

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: Cummins smoke

I saw told this motor was made in a big cam version. possibly the turbo version and that cam can be installed in our small cam motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks