• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curious about best apparatus to put in 3.07 middle gears

Reworked LMTV

Hi Guys,
Well the axles went in for balancing yesterday. Tiger Tool helped a lot. If you use one you must take the zerks out first. They get destroyed.

I need to drop in the 3.07 gears. Just curious about using a gantry and chain hoist vs. engine hoist vs?

I am putting in a locker at the time. Count the number of turns and mark the star nut position? This is what I have seen.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The guy that sold me the locker said to scribe mark everything before taking apart to install the locker and then put it all back together using the marks. I didn’t personally do it I had a local driveline shop do it but it came out fine that way.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you stabilize that massive chunk with anything?
Nope. It sat in the saddle/dish on top of the jack. One person kept a hold of the gears, and one slid the jack.

It would probably work better with a transmission saddle on the jack, but it never felt overly-precarious. (And I'm not the type of person to do blatantly stupid things that are unsafe. If I had felt it was going to end poorly, I would have just gone and bought the transmission jack.)

Reworked LMTV

Nope. It sat in the saddle/dish on top of the jack. One person kept a hold of the gears, and one slid the jack.

It would probably work better with a transmission saddle on the jack, but it never felt overly-precarious. (And I'm not the type of person to do blatantly stupid things that are unsafe. If I had felt it was going to end poorly, I would have just gone and bought the transmission jack.)

I am assuming you did a 4x4, not the 6x6. The 6x6 chunk in the middle is massive.

ramdough

I unloaded an intermediate differential from an F250 once. With three people, it was more of a controlled fall.

For my install, I plan to have the bed off and then do a chain fall from above. Maybe use a motorcycle jack from below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks