• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curious about injectors

DaneGer21

Let me start by saying, I have NOT removed any of my injectors. So I don’t know if they’re one hole or two hole.

#3 and #4 injector LINES are pretty rough looking for some reason, when previously removed for a HH removal, the threads were pretty well shot on the injector side of those lines. They have now started leaking and I cannot get them to stop. I’m afraid to tighten them anymore with how those threads looked, but I guess at this point I wanna replace some parts.

Anyways, is there any harm in just replacing both the steel injector line and also putting in a new two hole injector on ONLY #3 and #4 cylinders? Reason being, budget. I eventually will buy two more, and so on. But all at once the wife won’t let me spend it.

But, would two new two hole injectors cause any issues or pose any threats to let’s say old one hole injectors on the four other cylinders?

Man that’s confusing HAHA

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you replace single injectors, replace like with like.
Don't mix single hole and two hole injectors unless it is an emergency to get you home.

The two hole injectors superseded the single hole injectors for less smoke and less chance for piston damage (melting). Personally, I ran both and while the single hole injectors smoke a lot more, they seemed to provide more power (by the seat of the pants). The two hole injectors are better in all other departments, including EGT and smoke.

The injectors are serviceable, by the way. They can be pop-tested and set to the correct opening pressure. Nozzles can be ultrasonic cleaned or replaced if needed. Look around for a diesel injection shop that can do that for you.

Injection lines can be replaced as needed; make sure the replacement line is fully open (patent) and not clogged, before installing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaneGer21

If you replace single injectors, replace like with like.
Don't mix single hole and two hole injectors unless it is an emergency to get you home.

The two hole injectors superseded the single hole injectors for less smoke and less chance for piston damage (melting). Personally, I ran both and while the single hole injectors smoke a lot more, they seemed to provide more power (by the seat of the pants). The two hole injectors are better in all other departments, including EGT and smoke.

The injectors are serviceable, by the way. They can be pop-tested and set to the correct opening pressure. Nozzles can be ultrasonic cleaned or replaced if needed. Look around for a diesel injection shop that can do that for you.

Injection lines can be replaced as needed; make sure the replacement line is fully open (patent) and not clogged, before installing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Would new injectors need to be pop tested/adjusted?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have to? No. But consider the origin of the "new" injectors. Manufactured anytime between 1968 and 199?. In storage here and there and not looked at for decades. From the factory ready to be dropped in - but that was decades ago. The lubricant could be hardened, they can be stuck, who knows. They have no wear, that's about the only thing certain. They may be set to the perfect pop-off pressure (2800-3000 psi; from the top of my head; check TM 9-2910-226-34 page 25 ff.) or may not be. Or 5 are and one isn't. Yet, you put them in, hoping for a significant improvement over what you currently have.

My five cents: If I spent the money on 6 "new" complete injectors (which, by now, come from the bottom of a surplus barrel somewhere) I would spend the extra $200 or so to make sure they actually work as "new".

Also, there is a Chinese company that makes the injector NOZZLES (tips) for these injectors, two-hole. The AMBAC part number for the two hole nozzles is NBM770138. People on this forum much more knowledgeable than I am tested the Chinese ones and said they were of good quality. http://www.chinahanji.com/01_hd90100.htm
A diesel injection place can fit them when they overhaul injectors.

Here is more background on the injectors than one can read in one pass:

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Two hole injectors have two holes.
They are different size holes for turbulation.
.1057 and .0177 inch holes strategiacally placed.

Attachments

DaneGer21

This might be a silly question, and no it’s not because I don’t remember, I just didn’t see it covered in the TM. Maybe because there’s only one way to install it, but, if not what is the proper orientation of the NOZZLE compared to the injector body?

I totally understand the injector itself can only be installed one direction on the engine, but I’m asking about the actual nozzle in relation to the actual injector. I would assume the spray pattern should be directed to a certain area or a certain direction when the injector is mounted to the engine.

Or maybe the nozzle can only be installed onto the injector body one way, making it spray in the correct direction?

Or three, it just doesn’t matter?!?

thanks

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Carefully take one apart and put it back together and You will see the answers to 1, 2, & 3.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

I recently had a set of single hole injectors serviced by a local company, And it made a whopping difference to starting, running, and the smoke emissions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks