• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dad's passing......& other stuff

Brad

Well friends, it is with terrible sadness I am informing you all of my dear old Dad's passong away here on July 12th.
He fought a long hard fight since he had a stroke near 4 years back.
And frankly, if the VA and the local hospital had paid more attention he would probably still be with us.
Dad was not able to speak, but we certainly communicated and he was mostly pretty sharp yet. He would have turned 86 this past Sept.
Though he couldnt actual do anything "hands on" I would take him out side with me and try and include him in all the little projects that it takes around the house to keep things going.
We were able to keep him at his and Mom's home the full time, other than several hospital stays.
He especially liked it when I'd pull this old M135 out of the shed and we'd work on it. He would point and try to talk. We'd ask him different things until we guessed the thing he wanted done and then we would do it.
As hard as it was re-focusing all my life activities to care for him in the end it was so very rewarding. My Dad and I actually became allot closer over these last 3-1/2 years or so. And we were close to begin with.
Dad was a combat wounded Korean War ver having landed at Inchon as well as being in the 7th Army Division at the Chosin Res. He had several citations as well as five Korean Bronze Service Stars.
So it has been hard for me to accept all this. I really am missing my Dad.
Finally, we used my Dad's truck to transport his pall Bearers to the cemetary, driven by my youngest So Ben, an Iraq War Vet. My Dad was very proud of him and all his Grandchildren. The Pall Bearers were five Grandsons and a Great Grandson.100_1335.jpg

Also, just this week I noticed the truck wwas developing a miss of some sort. In checking the spark plugs I notice they are pretty poor looking. One was completley fouled, causing the miss. I cleaned them all and replaced the worse one with a spare, but its plain to see I need a new set of plugs. Where is the best place to get such parts?? Plugs, points, rotor, cap, etc???

Thanks for all the help in the past,
Brad Foust

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dad passed away 9 years, 9 months and 16 days ago and I still miss him. He would have been 86 this year and he to was a Korean combat veteran.

So sorry for your loss and although I can't say it gets better you do find a way to live with it.

Brad

Mr Bradley??
So odd you should reply? You can see my name is Brad / Bradley.
My Father named me for one of his Army buddies. WHO WAS FROM OHIO!
His name was / is "Willis Clifford Bradley"
Surly, you cant know......................................??????
I mean, would this not be the greatest coincidence!!??

Take care, I think it is wonderful to still miss yer Dad. I mean, what kind of Dad would they be if we didnt miss them??
Regards,
Brad Foust
Bolivar Pa

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr Bradley??
So odd you should reply? You can see my name is Brad / Bradley.
My Father named me for one of his Army buddies. WHO WAS FROM OHIO!
His name was / is "Willis Clifford Bradley"
Surly, you cant know......................................??????
I mean, would this not be the greatest coincidence!!??

Take care, I think it is wonderful to still miss yer Dad. I mean, what kind of Dad would they be if we didnt miss them??
Regards,
Brad Foust
Bolivar Pa

Nope don't him. :)

Dad never got to see my trucks but he did get to see the ones my Brother before me.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I lost my Dad this past December he was 58. We weren't nearly as close as we should have been! I miss the old man more now knowing he's gone. I am glad you got to enjoy the last few years. Sometimes I think we get caught up in the words we say. You felt his love those last few years more than he could've ever said and I am sure it goes both ways!

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lost my Dad coming up on three years. I know the last words/actions we shared were a hug and "I love yous". His death was completely unexpected, He was 77 and gone too soon.....

Brad

Thanks ya'all for responding.
Hey SW Bradley1, I assume then you do not know "Willis Clifford Bradley" also from Ohio???
That was my Dad's army buddy from Ohio.

I mean you said yer Dad would have been 86 this year. Thats same as my Dad.
They were both Korean War Vets.
My Dad's army buddys last name was Bradley, and from Ohio also.
Sure there are allot of guys were in Korea, but the same age, the same war, the same state, yer last name and my Dad named me after him "Bradley".
That is some coincidence. Maybe even more-so if not the same guy???
My Dad's name was Arnold Foust. A Sgt First Class. Corp when wounded.
7th Inf Div. Batt B, 48th Field Artillary, 32nd Regt Combat Team.
Was in occupation Force Japan before landing at Inchon with MacArthur. Later was at the Frozen Chosin.
When I was born he named me after his Army Pal, Willis BradleyAnother Lig Par close up.jpg

snowyrivers

Losing Dad is tough, and my heart goes out to all those who have endured the loss.

Mine passed in March of 1995 and hardly a day goes by that I don't miss him.

As I enter into my 60's and am enjoying time with my son in law I just wish Dad was still here to enjoy our projects and add his expertise to the mix.

Losing Dad is tough sledding.

Snowy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Condolences for your loss. Next year it will be 30 years since my Dads passing. He was young, 59. He was also a WWII and Korean vet. Still miss him dearly.

Hoefler

Lost my dad 3 years ago this coming November. He was 1st Cav and was shipped off to the Korean war via ship. Halfway across the ocean, his ship was diverted to Japan where he served in Hokido. Dad is buried at Fort Snelling in St paul. His headstone shows he was a Korean war vet. Dad died when he was 79 years old.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks