• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Damaged Socket Question/Advice

jplace1011

*Update
I believe I was able to repair the socket. I have to verify it works*

I had a real rodeo getting the bulb out of the Voltmeter (It’s likely the original) of my CUCV M1009. On my first try only the bulb itself came out. I had to wrestle with various pliers to get the base of the bulb out. There was dirt, etc. falling out in the process. Nothing new, this vehicle is quite filthy, I’ve been cleaning since I purchased it.

I noticed the socket got damaged in the process. I believe a small brassy looking piece on the side of the inside of the socket was snapped/broken.

Is it possible to replace just the socket itself? Or do I have to purchase a new Voltmeter?

Thank you for any advice/assistance with this. I’m not privy to electrical or mechanical all that much, so I need some help please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jplace1011

Awesome! I had a feeling there was a new socket, I just didn’t know the specs, etc. Thank you for the heads up.

My neighbor was able to fix the existing socket. We’ll have to see if it holds or not. If not, now I know what socket to get and where to get it.

We also discovered a Mickey Mouse splicing job while looking around. The wires were barely held together and there was tons of tape. There’s Before and After pics below.

That old saying is still true. If you don’t have time to do it right, you have time to do it twice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyoffroad

I had a similar problem and was told by 2 local parts suppliers that they could not get that socket, so I took a regular 194 bulb and socket from an old side marker and cut the 'tabs' off the socket and trimmed it for a press fit. Worked great.

jplace1011

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks