• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dana 60 swap

Wy-m880

Ok i have been looking for 1ton axles for awhile now, but stumbled apon 1992 dodge 4wd 3/4ton diesel frame, for free w/ axles and only bad is front frame is cracked which is not a big deal, i know these diesel axles are high geared do to diesels running lower rpm range and higher torque, my question is should i convert the full time transfer case to full time to part time work with these i couldnt see why not just curious pros and cons, and just aquired GY MT's37x12.50 mil OZ tread, need advisory on safest lift to clear and function properly, test fitted drivers side, fender rub is immediate indicator, while turning thru range, no spring rub but the manual gear box for steering is major collision on arm and link rod bolt, my guess is 4-6in

Greasy

I ran accross to same problem when I acquired a set of 36" Goodyear OZ's. To fit those tires, I installed a Rancho 4" lift (front springs/rear blocks) and a complete power steering conversion from a 1991 W200 Dodge (used). The 1991 has a different style of steering box. This will require the steering box and drag link. You will also have to modify the shaft, because the steering box is different. Do a "power steering" search in this forum. There will be several responses. I chose the 91 steering box because the tire will not contact the drag link nut. I attached some pictures of my truck. Maybe my truck and your parts truck were stable mates at one time. They look identical. What are the ID numbers on it?

Attachments

rickf

The gears on diesels are not always high, usually just the opposite. The highest you will find is likely 3.55. The most common will be 4.10 and if is was a stake or mini dump they could be 4.56.

Rick

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the Cummins Dodge D60 would have a higher gear due to the cummins low red line, IIRC like 2100rpm.
Now couple that with the 37" Humvee tires and 150hp 318, not gonna work well,
since the full time 4x4 T case is an open differential, you wouldn't notice the difference in power.
Converting the T-case isn't cheap either. Fuel savings is about 1 mpg.

Greasy has the steering & lift covered in his post.

I'm running 36" Humvee tires with stock pitman arm and just an add a leaf.
And no I can not turn the wheel all the way, either direction, so I just don't turn all the way.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wy-m880

here is the VIN greasy w24be6s24424 registration is NGO7G1, i dont think the truck could be titled it was a city truck for painting dept. dont think the city of douglas would find it amusing that they get a request form for a title when the truck technically should been disposed of and crushed, as for ratios of axle im not to worried but the transfer case is it tough enough with the mile marker part time conversion here im sharing some pics:beer:

Attachments

Wy-m880

bob sounds like you got the same blues as most did with the early 88-90 4wd ifs gmc/chevy trucks needed a 7mile runway just to get in the opposite direction, lol, power would probly kill it on running, but im going to try a 4bbl intake i have off civi, if dont like that , i guess the big block 400 i just put in my 79 shortbox gets transplanted in the m880 w/ 4spd

Last edited:

Greasy

Your parts truck and my truck are 4 digits apart! To bad she will never see the road again. I had trouble with the registration on mine here in Kalifornia. Mabey it was just who i was dealing with (DMV).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks