• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dare I ask this?

CR99

Out of curiosity, what can happen if you DO NOTHING to fix the gen1 and gen2 lights. Both of them come on and I will one day fix them, but right now they just flash away. I am looking more for problems that can arise eventually. This is for an 84 m1009. Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it was not on any of the searches.

CCATLETT1984

if your alternators are putting out the correct voltage, then you can just leave the idiot lights. you should have 14.5volts while running on the drivers side alternator and ~29volts at the passenger side alternator while running.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do what I do when idiot lights come on for no apparent reason: take the bulbs out from behind the idiot lights! ;) Seriously, I've had an idiot light on the dash of my Durango for the past 80,000 miles. The dealership has reset it several times, and told me that they can't find anything wrong with the truck, but it keeps popping up. It keeps you on your toes, it does....

aboonski

I have the problem of my Gen 1 light showing faint illumination after the truck is running - it never did this before I had that problem with the starter solenoid in the dashboard. I had to replace the fuseable link for the #1 alternator and I just wonder if the shorted link might have weakened alternator #1. I'll do a voltage test today to see if everything is as it should be according to CCATLETT1984.

Michael

Removing your GEN lights will definitely make your alternators quit working, the bulb is a necessary part of the charging circuit. A faint glow is a known problem that some trucks have when there is nothing wrong with them. I can't think of any reason they would both be on bright without a charging problem.

CR99

The gen 2 light flashes pretty consistently but disapears when she is up over 50mph. Gen 1 just has some minor glow here and there, much like what Michael said above. I will check the voltage on the alts soon. I was just more curious for long term damage if I just happened to ignore the problem (not that I would.....)
You guys are great. Thanks

m4A1

Mine would have a glow if I have lights and radio on. I think if I have too much voltage drops the lights will start glowing.

littlebob

Try and check any ground straps. I'm not familiar with your vehcle type, but have been working on vehicles since I was twelve and My most aggrevating problems have been ground related. Most GM vehicles have ground straps going from the engine to the body and to the chassis. Some Have had a wire
from the battery cable to the body. If you to have a bad connection somewhere the high resistance can cause a lot of damage to the wiring harness.
Checkig all of the connections is free except for your time and labor, I would do that first.
littlebob

maritimer

just from my own trucks quirck list. when i start her up i have to tap the fuel once to get the lights to go out. once i get them spun up they are fine.

ida34

maritimer said:
just from my own trucks quirck list. when i start her up i have to tap the fuel once to get the lights to go out. once i get them spun up they are fine.
That is pretty much normal.

m4A1

Funny thing, since this thread started my Gen2 light comes on now when I turn my headlights on and it is not just a glow. I thought the Gen1 is for the 12v application.

CCATLETT1984

it is, but the gen1 feeds gen2, i suspect you have a bad connection between the two. Get out the multi-meter and check the voltages at both alternators, first with the lights off, then with the lights on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks