• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash mount AC??

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is not the time everyone is normally thinking about AC. My plans have changed since I have decided to possibly cut a pass though between the S-788 shelter and the cab of the DuraVee, so the Red Dot unit I have will not work.
I have seen at least partial factory dash units showing up, and seem like a real bargain when compared to the Restomod evap. only at $2875.
So I wonder if anyone has retro fitted any of these later factory units to the earlier (M-998) dashes.
Also I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has installed the Restomod units.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So nobody has tried to refit the dash mount ac to an earlier (M998) body?

Action

So nobody has tried to refit the dash mount ac to an earlier (M998) body?
What specifically are you asking? I installed the a/c into a body that did not previously have that option. I installed the factory m1152 setup. It uses the factory heater line holes. I was given a template for the a/c hose manifold in the firewall. You may need another hole for wiring. I had it. The dash duct gets a few self tapping screws. The evaporator uses the same 4 bolt holes that the m998 heater core does. The bottom 2 holes get a bracket that the evaporator assembly rests in. I installed hard lines in the body before the body was mounted.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What specifically are you asking? I installed the a/c into a body that did not previously have that option. I installed the factory m1152 setup. It uses the factory heater line holes. I was given a template for the a/c hose manifold in the firewall. You may need another hole for wiring. I had it. The dash duct gets a few self tapping screws. The evaporator uses the same 4 bolt holes that the m998 heater core does. The bottom 2 holes get a bracket that the evaporator assembly rests in. I installed hard lines in the body before the body was mounted.
Yes that is what I needed to know, curious where you got the template?

Action

Yes that is what I needed to know, curious where you got the template?
Germany. That was over 10 years ago.
The hole is same shape as manifold, so if you have that, you can just trace it.
The manifold is whathoses bolt to. To pass through firewall.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So it looks like the ac ducting replaces the old heater ducts, I also see some ducting for a outlet under the dash on the drivers side, did you also install that? How are the ducts controlled as far as switching from normal AC to defrost?

Action

So it looks like the ac ducting replaces the old heater ducts, I also see some ducting for a outlet under the dash on the drivers side, did you also install that? How are the ducts controlled as far as switching from normal AC to defrost?
You either have heat or a/c or off. Fan is hi, low, or off. You cannot adjust temp like the old pull lever. The water valve is electric and open or closed. I guess you could do custom and keep pull lever and old valve.
For defrost, there is a knob on top of duct, in front of each front seat. They are connected to rod that slides defrost holes open and closed. The knobs screw tight to hold in place. If it wont move, loosen the knobs a bit.
The driver floor vent uses the same ducting that the a2 versions have. The silver hose on top of engine.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about radio trays, do they bolt up the same?
I am doing an A0,,,

Action

This is one of the driver ducts. I think the RH side is shorter. One on each side of doghouse w1645232303797.pngith the round ends at top facing each other..

Action

Action your truck looks like new… you do amazing work. You didn’t have ac and you pieced everything together?
That is a govp picture. I started with a blown up truck. Everything was new when i built it. The body, too. So yes, i had to put all the a/c stuff together. My body was new and had the square holes just not the hose nanifold hole.
I learned how to use the TMs and built an entire truck.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a govp picture. I started with a blown up truck. Everything was new when i built it. The body, too. So yes, i had to put all the a/c stuff together. My body was new and had the square holes just not the hose nanifold hole.
I learned how to use the TMs and built an entire truck.
Amazing, how long did it take you? I understand nothing is ever done. I seen what you started with and what you built. TM’s make everything easier. You did yours when parts were more available and probably a lot cheaper than now. I don’t know anyone that started with a blown up truck and rebuilt it to new

Action

Amazing, how long did it take you? I understand nothing is ever done. I seen what you started with and what you built. TM’s make everything easier. You did yours when parts were more available and probably a lot cheaper than now. I don’t know anyone that started with a blown up truck and rebuilt it to new
4 years. Parts were not plentiful. I have an REV, the 2nd one built. Parts were all being used on the assembly line. Lots of stuff had 6 month lead times. I have tightened every nut with hand tools. To proper torque if specified. Over 22,000 miles driven by. I started it in 2009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks