• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash pad question

dc_cucv

That looks interesting. A bit more work than i honestly would want to put into it right now.

I took the path of least resistance (hopefully) - I pulled the trigger and bought a Coverlay dash cover. My existing stock dash is actually fairly solid when I pulled it out. Has a few gouges near the perforated speaker holes and 1 crack that runs about halfway thru. Think i can get it smoothed out very nicely and then fit that Coverlay cover right over it.

I got it from CarID - they price matched and gave military discount so I paid 150 shipped out the door.

We've been getting the hurricane remnant bands up here in VA this weekend, so too cold/wet to start this project, but hoping for next week weather permitting.

Keith_J

What is vinyl? PVC, same basic heat molded plastic pipes are made from but will 11 secret herbs and spices to make it flexible. For a while..
The baking sun heat and ultraviolet light bake these secret herbs and spices out of the plastic, turning it brittle and shrinking the mess.

That new car smell is from these secret herbs and spices..called plasticized, they have the additional annoying property of causing window haze.

cucvrus

Whatever they are made out of it is just a plastic cap that is placed over the existing dash pad. The Chevrolet trucks always had poor dash pads in them back in the day. I worked at a GM dealer and remember that the heavier medium duty GM trucks had the same design dash pad, but it was made out of a cardboard / fiber board material and as it aged the grain of the particle board would come thru. I also remember having a 1-year-old 1973 Chevrolet truck towed in because the owner tried to change the fuel filter twisted the fuel line and kinked it shut at the carburetor. I am sure some remember that silly set up on the Rochester quadra jet. It worked but was not the best setup for servicing the fuel filter. Anyway, the truck was dropped in the lot, and I always got the crappy jobs being the new guy and still in school. I opened the driver's door and pushed the truck in my bay. As I was pushing in the door jab area the dash pad cracked. So, the owner came back and instantly noticed the crack. He received a new GM dash pad, and I received a scowl. It was a blue K20 4WD with the 350 4 speed. A true classic today. Back to my original post. The over lay is not the best set up if you are restoring to original. But for a decent inexpensive cover up it works. Have a Great Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks