• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead trailer(s)

JeepMan

Got your attention I bet!
This is gonna be way off topic.
As you know everyone is gonna die. Recently we buried a cousin. At the cemetary I noticed that the crane trailer that they use to bring in the "box for the box", (ie the vault for the casket) had a differential under it.
I surmised that because the trailer was equipped with it's own motor to power the crane that somehow they must have a drive syetem under the trailer so they can "drive" the trailer into position and leave the truck on the road. As you know, as in this case, some cemetaries are built on hillsides, (as this one is) so to be able to do this must help immensely with this work.
Now I was thinking, how would this idea be with these trailers spoken about here!!
How handy would it be to be able to "drive" the trailer into a tight spot to load and to be able to do the same to unload!
How about hooking up the trailer also, just "drive' the railer to the truck pintle, hook up and go!!
Anyone seen what I am talking about?

Rattlehead

I seriously considered the exact same thing with my crane trailer project, as it was originally a Chevy c-60. I decided against it because the tongue weight is already gonna be high enough without front steer axle, etc. That stock front axle and hubs were freaking heavy!

JeepMan

I think it could be done with the front wheel being used to "steer" the trailer. Than just swing it up when not in use like a regular trailer wheel.
Just think of how handy something like this would be to say go down into the woods, load up a load of firewood and than be able to swing it in between the house/neighbors garage to unload the wood back by the rear shed all without the need of the truck.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Dead trailer(s)

Long story:
I build a small box trailer when I was a lieutenant to use for our move to Fort Eustis from Fort Devens. It was build using a car axle and RV siding that was available as well as a plywood floor. Well being a mechanic the trailer was loaded way heavier than it should have been and as I pulled it down from Mass to Virginia it was making it fine until I hit the beltway around Richmond and a heavy wind combined with the exit ramp broke the spring on the passenger side. It immediately smoked that tire and I stopped before it blew. I spent the next three hours limping along the breakdown lane getting it to Newport News.

I found a one ton compact truck in a junk yard just out of Yorktown and bought the whole rear end. I then jacked the trailer really high up in the air and replaced the old axle with that rear frame rails and all. I still have that trailer and have had as much as 3,000 pounds in it on other moves. nothing handles weight like a good drive axle.

Srjeeper

It's easier to get the log to the crane, then it is to get the crane to the log. Just go look at any logging operation to see what I'm talking about. While there are going to be times this may come in handy, there are probably more times it will not be necessary. You'll still be hauling around all the extra weight even when it's not needed and lets face it, if it was all that practicle, you'd see this type trailer in commerical use.

That's just my .02.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just in case nobody knew, there is a guy on ebay making trailers that are modeled after the pls system. I have sent him an email and a pic to see how much it would cost to put one of his systems on the back of my deuce.

goldneagle

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dead trailer(s)

They make a motorized wheel gizmo for moving trailers around. I have a manual one I use to maneuver my ball hitch trailers with. It is designed for non-pintle type trailer, but I am sure one of you can figure a way to use it with a pintle setup. Maybe attach it tot the trailer for maneuvering purposes.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks