• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decal prep

Firehound

I'm about to put some decals and markings on my M35A2C. It is a 1988 vintage, probably original paint. Will just a good wash and wipe with isopropyl alcohol be good enough for making sure the decals stick and hold, or should I use something else?

67Beast

A lot will depend on the surface of the paint. If it is the flat CARC paint, then don't plan on the decals lasting too long as the rough flat surface just doesn't make for a good surface. If it is a smoother semi-gloss then you will have no problems. Cleaning the surface free of oils and waxes will make for the best chance for them to stick well. I always try and recommend using paint masks and painting the markings for people who have trucks done in CARC.

ArmoredCTP

Unless the CARC's finish is so rough that it actually has protruding bumps or extremely thick texture, I wouldn't think that decals won't stick. Vinyl decals should stick pretty well.

In any event, prepping with alcohol is a good idea. I would also suggest spraying some very soapy water onto the surface before applying the decal. This allows you to adjust it without worrying about having to get it perfect in one go. For large decals, remember to have something you can use as a squeegee, like one of those Bondo spatulas sold at Walmart. Use that to force water out toward the edges once you get it perfectly centered. You also eliminate air bubbles, because those same bubbles are now just filled with water and will be forced out with your squeegee.

Just gently set the decal down onto the soapy wet surface, and carefully, slowly use the squeegee to force the water out, starting from the center working your way out.

JCKnife

Where's a good source for Deuce decals these days? I'm FINALLY going to finish my paint job this spring and I'll be looking for some. Decals or stencils.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks