• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decoding M35A2

Mauro

DDoyle - I purchased a M35A2 Deuce. I am having trouble decoding the model year and manf. The data plate is showing MFD by UT (Utica-Bend?), ID# M41870, contract# DA-20-018, ORD# 14580. I read your article on decoding the numbers found on the data plate are not matching anything in the article as it didnot address Utica-Bend if this is the correct MF. Any guidence or help would be greatly appreciated

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am on the road at the moment and can't tell you for sure - my educated guess is 1957. I should be able to dig deeper tonight. It would help to have the registration number - if its ex-army it will begin 4A.

The article in MVM only applies to Kaiser-Jeep and AM General.

The good news is that trucks as old as yours are usually even easier to date. There should be a tag on the transfer case that has embossed into it who the transfer case was delivered to (in your case, it could read "Stude, S-P, C-W or U-B), and have a date stamped in it (the date is not in code). Compare that date to the dates on each of the plates on the differential housings. You can also compare these to the dates on the steel wheels. It is very unlikely that ALL these components have been replaced - so the most common date is probably date of mfr. I am still betting 1957.

This truck was built with a gasoline engine - since you titled this thread "M35A2...." the truck has been repowered, so the date on the tranny is of no value. (The transmission would have been exchanged for an overdrive model when the engine was swapped).

Hope this helps,
David

Mauro

Thanks David for all the info. I will have to check the axles as they look as old as the trcuk but motor, trans and transfer case are newly remand. Their was no reg# listed on the data plate. Only MFD by UT, ID# M41870, contract# DA-20-018, ORD# 14580.
Question does UT sym Utica-Bend? Would there be any number on the frame rail near steering box would the location apply to this vehicle for numbers?

Medlog respond what he had found
NSN Nomen serial# Reg # Date of Mfg
2320 000771616 M35A2 52516631 4M41870 1970 which is a lot of years different.

I have a lot of questions. I appreciate everyones help. I am hoping you are right and not all components have been replaced. I need to complete this mission to obtain a title. thanks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, the VIN number you gave M41870 is in the correct sequence for a 1957 Utica Bend. The contract number is also correct for a 1957 Utica-Bend

The number Medlog has supplied is for REGISTRATION number 4M41870 - which is for a 1970 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2, with the VIN of 0525-16631. This truck was built on contract number DAAE06-70-C-0001. With all the thousands of numbers running around on these trucks, this would be a very easy mistake to make.

The VIN number is stamped on the frame rail - if its a 1970 K-J the 0525-16631 number is near the driver's side shock mount. If it is a 1957 Utica-Bend the M41870 is PROBABLY on the passenger's side, between the centerline of the front axle and the rear of the fender.

The registration number should be found in one of the following locations - on the doors, on the inside of the truck, on the underside of the hood. Failing that, wet the hood and look near the juncture of the hood and the engine compartment side panels. You should be able to see/feel the numbers. Likewise with somewhere on the tailgate.

At this point, I am 99% certain it is a 1957 Utica-Bend. As you may have surmised, I am home now - and can tell you for a fact that VIN number M41848 was a 1957 Utica_Bend - and while it is possible that by the time the next 22 trucks were built (yours) the year had rolled over to 1958 and the maker to Curtiss-Wright - its just not likely.

Hope this helps,
David

Mauro

David - your awesome - I am on the hunt for numbers.I appreciate your time. I will keep you posted on what I find. I quess then I am in the 1957 zone. I can not believe for the year how nice the truck is. Gov't took care of it.................
Thanks again
Tony

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, the difference between vehicles if it is an M35 or an M35A2:

2320 000771616 M35A2 52516631 4M41870 WAPSA0 1970 C
2320 008358463 M35 M41870 04A4568 WPATT0 1957 H

Based on the info provided I looked up info on the A2 stock number.

the M35 (not the A2) was used by the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battlaion, 127th Armor Regiment, NY Army National Guard in Buffalo, NY. In March 1996 it was sent to the 1485th Medium Truck Company, Ohio Army National Guard in Coshocton, OH with 39435 miles on it.

No records available on it from the 1485th.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Ah...Medlog - I have data base envy! To have that information at my fingertips would make my work so much easier....and my books and articles so much better.

My little scrawny data base was done one truck at a time, over years...

You lucky duck....

Regards,
David

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to learn the history of my M108 but since it was Air Force, doubt that anyone has info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks