• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DeSpline Questions

acme66

I have done a bunch of searching and could find some hard Duce numbers but can't seem to come up with any for the 939 5ton. Can someone with desplined hubs on a 5ton comment on what you have seen in the real world? MPG, tire wear etc? Have issues with bushing wear or? On road obviously but I do have questions about if the 5ton would waddle about on steep gravel roads or see axle hop descending. I have heard numbers for the 2.5 ton as high as 4mpg gain, if the 5ton saw half that that would be $1600 in fuel for my truck per season. Not sure if I can push it up/down the mountain with out axle hop on just the rears but I would be willing to try for another 2mpg. The Duce guys seem to like them, curious if the big boys do as well.

Ken

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Depending on what 5t, a 939 would be a lot different then a 39/809 series, the 5t spindle has only one axle bushing, this is towards the rear of the spindle, the outer end is supported by the hub cap, on a 939, this will not be a issue BUT on the 39/809 series this will be a issue, the sprag will think the rears are spinning and will engage the front drive, causing the front axle to spin, that is a LOT of unsupported weight flopping around, something WILL were and break.

One way to handle this issue is to install a bushing in the desplined hubs, another way is to install the air cut off to the trans poppet valves and transfer MWO.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair that I swap out with my M925 and m936 when I'm head out on the high way. There is a fuel saving, however I haven't calculated down to the mpg. The big difference is no rotating mass up front in the axle. Feels a lot smoother in the steering wheel and no wear to the drive line. As for the exposed spline in the hub, no wear or even contact. I pack a little grease in them and bolt them on. As for my M813, I'm preparing to install a air switch to control the transfer poppet valve as Ron has described. Got the switch, sourcing air line/hardware, then I'll call Ron again to ensure I'm headed in the right direction.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With the 939s, the axle is not flopping around EXCEPT if you forget and engage the front drive, maybe come up with a safety cap that goes over the dash air switch like the safety cover the can go over a toggle on a toggle switch.

acme66

Front axles for me. I would like to know from those that have done it if desplining the front axles on a 939 gives similar on-road benefits as it does for the M35. Fuel mileage is of particular interest to me. The trailer discussion is interesting and to that end I would be tempted to simply set the back half of a 939 on some surplus trailer axles but I understand how that wouldn't look the part which I gather is also important to the builder. Again, I just want to know from those who have done it what effect a front despline has on MPG and tire wear as that is a large expense for our business. Even a mile or two per would make it very worth it to me but I would like to know hard numbers rather than being the test case.

Ken

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't done it to a 939 but I can tell you I got no where near 4 mpg improvement on the deuce. I got 1 mpg at 55-60 mph over 300 miles.

Steelreaper80

Old thread but interested if anyone has any experience they could share. 99.9% of my driving is on road. I would keep the splined hubs in the side box just in case they are needed but very interested in seeing at least SOME MPG improvement. A little would help a lot.

74M35A2

Old thread but interested if anyone has any experience they could share. 99.9% of my driving is on road. I would keep the splined hubs in the side box just in case they are needed but very interested in seeing at least SOME MPG improvement. A little would help a lot.
8.3? If not, get one. That doubles your mileage.

tobyS

If you don't want to ruin a perfectly good spline hub, consider making a blank to cover the bearings.

Use the dished head to an air tank, readily available, and weld on a flange.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks