• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit Diesel cooling system flush.

wayne461

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen, I'm probably out of my lane here, but I need some help with how to flush the cooling system on my GOV rebuilt 4-53N. I understand that harsh chemicals should not be used on wet sleeved engines. This engine will be swapped into my 84 M1008. Thanks. 523467-6f41685b8fb7fc8c851ab92f165661d9.jpg

wayne461

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That block should have been hot tanked during overhaul and should be sparkling clean inside.
Thanks for the reply, it gets worse. I just popped the intake housing off it to look at the blower and found a powdered substance in it. The air box has tacky black oil in it with no evidence of the powder. Not much oil in theair box though, but enough to raise questions on if this engine was re built or swapped out for a re built in whatever it came out of.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup that is a take out. The flaky paint is a dead giveaway. Someone pulled it because something is wrong with it. Consider it a core.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's it worth as a core? $1500? It turns 360
Less than that, maybe half since it's a non-running core. Someone on the flebay is selling a complete engine for $1250. There's also another person selling 6 engine/transmission/radiator sets for $2k each so there's your price points. If you don't plan on using it why not try to start it up and see if it runs to increase the value. Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks