• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Adaptor Plates

Dave08

There has been a lot of threads concerning the fabrication of adapter plates for various rims that individuals want to run on their deuces. I have read just about all of them and I have contributed comments to most of them in the form of questions. However, half the fun in having a MV and starting a project is doing the work yourself and/or figuring out the way to solve a particular problem. Well, I have embarked on making an adapter plate on my own and got a few other SS Members interested as well. I realize that there are plates and rims for sale on SS but this is one member helping another member and trying to keep costs at a minimum.

I am using the HEMTT rim for my project to run 53" tires on my deuce. I have looked at the prices of the plates for sale along with the shipping and it became more of an economic decision for me to make my own. I purchased my 1045 steel
Plates pre-cut. My pre-cut measurements where 1/4' bigger diameter than what I required and I had the inner diameter for deuce Hub pre-cut 1/4" smaller. I did this because the pre-cuts were fire cuts and I wanted to perform the final cuts in the plates. I utilized the 1045 steel in 1/2 inch thickness for the strength. My son and I then spent the afternoon at his shop setting up the Mil and cutting one plate. It turned out great. I have been talking with another SS Member an I am going to make him a proto type with his CAD drawings for his project when I get the time. Now for the first important fact which is cost. I am making a total of 8 plates. I purchased 9 plates that were 1/2" thinck of 1045 steel precut to a 18 inch outer diameter size with a 8.5 inch inner diameter cut for a total cost of $61.71 per plate. I then purchased two End Mill Bits at a cost of $132. With no labor charges, my adapter plates end up costing me approximately $76.47 for each and I have the satisfaction of making them myself as part of my project.

Treeguy has sent me the CAD Drawings for his project and has brought to my attention the issue of centering the rim so that it runs true. The studs that bolt the two halves of the rims together will not center the adapter plate properly and Treeguy, working with Gringeltaube has come up with a great idea that we will try with my adapter plates to see if it works. I have attached pictures of the stud dimensions that hold the rim halves together, the steel plates that I used as stock, the milling process, and the final plate.

The objective is to keep the cost as low as possible and to accomplish something on your own project. I will keep everyone informed as I am next going to cut the HEMTT rims in order to use the adapter plates.
DAve08

Attachments

Dave08

Stand By for an Order

Very nice work Dave. Good fixture your son made. Going to be a good machinist. Thanks Kyle
Blackrock,

Thanks, my son amazes me when he does the things he does at that shop. Stand by for an order on the front lift kit. I will talk with you via PM later.
Dave08

Dave08

Good Machinist

Very nice work Dave. Good fixture your son made. Going to be a good machinist. Thanks Kyle
Blackrock,
He has been a machinist for the past 7 years at that shop on and off. He does what he can with what he has to work with. As you can see, he is very adept at creating the jigs and fixtures he needs. That particular shop lacks the proper tools to always do things correctly. This is one of my son's major complaints. He does good work and he amazes me at how he can program the machine as quickly as he does.
Thanks!
Dave08

Dave08

Measurement Mistake

That's a good start![thumbzup]

(And that's not a 8.5" hole there... :) )

G.
Gringeltaube,

you are correct...I do not know where I came up with 8.5" inner diameter hole. Maybe i was thinking of the 8.75 inch pattern when I was typing that out. Good catch, the plate was flame cut at 6.5 inch for the inner diameter hole. The final mil cut took it to 6.75 inch approximately. I will correct the picture and thanks again for the catch. You machinist types are good; my son also caught the mistake.
Thanks,
Dave08

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......................... the plate was flame cut at 6.5 inch for the inner diameter hole. The final mil cut took it to 6.75 inch approximately............
:???:.... why 6.75" if 6.450 - 6.455" would have been enough? (That already IS a highly stressed area there, that close to the lug nut holes, no need to further weaken it, IMHO)

Some dimensions for your reference: hub O.D. = 6.38" +/- 0.005"; front & rear axle drive flange O.D. = 6.42"+/- 0.005", stock centers I.D. = 6.46" +/- 0.005"

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks