• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Bobbing Questions

welldigger

I know that the 2.5 ton rockwell is a pretty stout axle and being that I have never worked on an axle this large I am unsure of the type of suspension I should create. Leaf's are the simplest but I've always been a fan of four links. If i was to go that route my biggest dilemma would be about coils vs. bags. I know that bags are often times used in dump trucks and vehicles of that sort but I like the simplicity of the coils.
Air bags will actually be much simpler than coil overs on a truck this heavy. Plus the airbags will ride better and handle more weight than any coil over.

wilfreeman

Somebody did one with a 4 link and bags back in 2013 on here. Now that I think about it, I can't recall if it was a deuce or 5 ton - thinking a deuce though.

wilfreeman

Well that brought some closure into my life! Pretty cool truck - they should've added a turbo and lockers to it though. You know how Ian likes to build a differential.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
OK, I understand what you are saying about the spring perches now. It sounds like I will have have to wait and see and go from there. When using the hemtt rims the rear hubs do not need to be flipped right? Also upon searching for tires I just stumbled upon 14r20's. The website says that they are 49" compared to the 395's 46". Are there any benefits to running the 14r20's over the 395's or are they to big/require a lift? Regardless of which tire I chose i want to put in a lift. I'm not sure what size yet but nothing ridiculous. I am leaning to a four link in the rear. I wanted to run coil springs but I could not find any info on what springs to use. I've seen that a lot of people use are bags. (I would prefer coil springs) I want to still be able to use the truck for what it was made for but also have an enjoyable ride. As far as airbags go I have no idea what size to get. Can the on board air system be used to inflate the bags? (Sorry for all of the questions)
395s are 46 and 1400s are 48. The 395s are wider and look better imho. If you are going 4x4 instead of 6x6, you should be fine. If you stay 6x6 1400s won't fit on a dual rear axle truck.

wilfreeman

Yeah - he said they had about $3500 in it when it was bobbed with tires. Said around what, $5500 with the bed done. It must've been donated or a very reduced price!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks