• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake line questions

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy all... So, I just finished rebuilding my long style airpack and am itching to install it. However, while rebuilding the airpack, I noticed that some of my brake lines were choked with unidentifiable stuff that could be rust, sludge, goo, or who knows what. I am wondering if there is a good solution to cleaning out these lines. I thought perhaps connecting each one to a parts washer and turning on the pump might work, hoping the solvent in the parts washer will be able to melt and remove the crud. I know I could make new lines (thanks to the info in the sticky notes), but if I can EFFECTIVELY clean my old lines, it would save money (and grief from "Other Family Members").

Have any of you had this problem? If you have, please tell me your solutions. TIA..!

Peace in Christ...
Leo

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Howdy all... So, I just finished rebuilding my long style airpack and am itching to install it. However, while rebuilding the airpack, I noticed that some of my brake lines were choked with unidentifiable stuff that could be rust, sludge, goo, or who knows what. I am wondering if there is a good solution to cleaning out these lines. I thought perhaps connecting each one to a parts washer and turning on the pump might work, hoping the solvent in the parts washer will be able to melt and remove the crud. I know I could make new lines (thanks to the info in the sticky notes), but if I can EFFECTIVELY clean my old lines, it would save money (and grief from "Other Family Members").

Have any of you had this problem? If you have, please tell me your solutions. TIA..!

Peace in Christ...
Leo
I second the idea from @18operator .

I imagine replacing the lines would be a better track to follow. It may be rust, it may just be crud. Chances are that you could blow out the crud with an air hose.

On the other hand, if a line splits because it rusted through - you wasted your time rebuilding the airpack

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
His post is exactly what I was referencing when I mentioned the Sticky Notes. I have printed his post in put it in my "Brake Book Basics". I was leaning towards replacing my brake lines, but I wanted other opinions before I jumped. There is so much knowledge here I would be an idiot to not ask the questions. So far, the consensus is 100% Replace. I guess we all know what is going to happen next....

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the website for FedHill. A 25' coil of 5/16" is $106.95 and a 25' coil of 1/4" is 89.95 (not sure about shipping costs). I figure I can reuse the nuts on my existing lines rather than buying new ones. I also think I can clean and reuse the brass connection blocks. As soon as I can get my deuce in my shop, I will begin to replace the lines. The final concern of course, is the wheel cylinders. I think I will try to hone one of the six and use a rebuild kit. Hopefully, I can do this correctly...!

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the website for FedHill. A 25' coil of 5/16" is $106.95 and a 25' coil of 1/4" is 89.95 (not sure about shipping costs). I figure I can reuse the nuts on my existing lines rather than buying new ones. I also think I can clean and reuse the brass connection blocks. As soon as I can get my deuce in my shop, I will begin to replace the lines. The final concern of course, is the wheel cylinders. I think I will try to hone one of the six and use a rebuild kit. Hopefully, I can do this correctly...!
If the nuts you have are brass I would say yes. I can't remember what I had on the original lines but I used new ones when I did the cunifer.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the nuts you have are brass I would say yes. I can't remember what I had on the original lines but I used new ones when I did the cunifer.
So far, all the line nuts that I have seen seem to be steel. I can't remember ever seeing brass or copper line nuts. The few on the lines that I have removed from my truck seem to be in good shape, although covered in OD Green paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks