• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce cab repairs

Gunfreak25

Debating on fixing or just finding a new cab. Trouble is it’s a 65, original to the truck and I’m sentimental. Plus I have no cabs near me to pick from. The trouble areas are the cowl, under the windshield hinges, and the bottom of the rockers. The cab corners are all solid.

does anybody have photos of how the cab is spot welded together at the windshield hinge areas and cowl to cab seams? I’m not looking for a show truck. If I can get it structurally solid and rust proofed I’d be happy.

Also, I understand most of these areas of not all are 18 gauge? I have plenty of 18 gauge on hand.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll second what NDT said. Those issues look fixable to me. I've seen plenty of repairs like the one near your hinge where the military just welded a patch on top of the sheet metal. When done neatly, I think it looks fine.

Gunfreak25

My main concern areas are under the windshield hinges. The captured nuts for the bolt holes are somewhat stripped from removing the fine thread heavily corroded bolts. I’m thinking I can cut an access panel from the outside to access the nuts, cut them out then cover up the hole with a new patch panel held on with screws. So that way they’re accessible in the future. I think it would look fine and be totally practical.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks